Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St John the Baptist Church

Stokesay

in the county of Shropshire

Floating Bridge at Cowes, Isle of Wight

Cowes

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Fight the fuel tax rip-off!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:22 on 20th March 2008

Perhaps that would be a good idea LLLyn, at least I could pin it on the garage wall and throw darts at it! As for my No Claims Bonus (NCB for those who didn't recognise what LLLyn was saying). I passed my test at 17 years of age and will be 63 years of age in November this year (I'll wait while you say 'gosh you don't look that old Ron') So the point is my NCB is also 100% intact over 45 years with no accidents....beat that, as you said, and I am sure somebody will!

Hand on heart you say? In that case it's a wonder that you have managed to keep a clean sheet, driving with one hand that is! Purple/Blue? Yuck, I am feeling sick at the thought of it but if you sneak up behind me and touch me with your bumpers........phew, hang on, nearly went too far then, crash! LLLol. By the way is Gorden and his puppets likely to affect your business?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
L
L
quotePosted at 20:55 on 20th March 2008
GOSH YOU DONT LOOK THAT OLD RON....ok? thats deinitely a nastly stutter you have there, hope its not catching lol I shall ignore all the digs cos I know they are all in fun (welllllll i hope they are lol)
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:56 on 20th March 2008
Thanks Lyn, but really, what has this got to do with the fuel tax rip-off? Somehow we have drifted into oblivion together.....if only! Time to say nite, nite I think! Talk to you folks tomorrow when hopefully Peter Wales will have come back to life. Perhaps he's in the pub trying to get some reinforcements!
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 12:07 on 21st March 2008
Ron, nice to meet you. I run my own courier business with three vans and am getting hit really hard with the prices. I operate a same day service and therefore travel all around the UK. I'm amazed at the differences in price not only in cities and towns but also from petrol station to petrol station. That includes same firm sites in the same towns ie. shell can vary by up to 6p a litre on different forecourts in the same city/town. I had to go to Cumbria the other evening and was astounded by the price of fuel on the A1....£119.9 per litre. I have it on very good authority that the petrol companies only make 1p profit per litre and that the duty we all pay for every £10.00 worth of fuel is £8.90. The government uses fuel (amongst other things) as a license to print money.....then the large (and not so large) commercial companies follow suit. I no longer use motorway service stations, (different thread, sorry!) no matter how hungry or thirsty I am...nor should anyone who can just get off the motorway and use local facilities. If we didn't buy from these places, they'd have to see sense and do something to make their prices realistic and FAIR. If you park in one of these places for too long, or in the wrong place you are clamped and it can cost up to £350 to be released. Be warned!  I have no choice but to buy fuel and as my vans clock up 60,000 miles plus a year each you can understand my grief...especially as deisel is more expensive than petrol (WHY?) Everything about driving is expensive and yet we have one of the worst road networks in Europe. Don't even get me started about the London CONgestion charge or the traffic wardens that hide down alleyways and pounce as soon as you walk around the corner. Remember gallons and ounces and pounds, shillings and pennies? Come back England, all is forgiven LOL. There. I've had my say...thanks Ron.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 12:08 on 21st March 2008
63 Ron? Never!!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:59 on 21st March 2008

Hi Andy

Yes 63 years of age and old enough to remember a pint of beer that would cost 1/6d! Having read you're comments above you have my sympathy, although that won't help I know. I absolutely agree with everything you say so why can't we change things? Why do we put up with this nonsense from a Government that really is a dead duck! If you can come up with anyway of bringing our particular thoughts in the forum to the attention of Gorden Brown and his puppets, then do lets hear it.

You say diesel was £1.19.9 on the A1 which is extortion anyway, but I read in the Daily Express this morning that diesel is now £1.29.9 in places! Thats £6.50 a gallon!! What a rip off because its mainly the tax element thats pushing up the cost which has a knock on effect. Mark my words Gordon Brown you WILL pay the price for this as well as all the other price rise's in the next election and it won't be any good trying to butter us up with a sweetner of any kind....WE WILL ALL REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID TO THE RESIDENTS OF THIS BEAUTIFUL LAND!

L
L
quotePosted at 13:25 on 21st March 2008
Andy....feeling better now you got that off your chest? lol have to agree with you though, but my local garage is selling petrol £1.06ltr, just goes to show how the big boys can rip you off, along with the Gordon Brown! Shame most of us have no alternative to get to work but drive, I have to travel across country and there's no other way of getting there, too hilly for a push bike and I dont think I could make it there on time on one anyway LOL
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:22 on 21st March 2008
63, didn't Peter say he too was 63. He could be your twin Welsh brother.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 14:22 on 21st March 2008
Long time since I rode a bike too!!!!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:25 on 21st March 2008
Thinks.....is there a bike sufficiently strong to carry her anyway, might need a mountain bike! Tell you what Lyn, I think we all reckon we can still ride (a bike that is) and trust me it gets harder with age!! Well that too I suppose!!!!