Marylebone

in the county of Greater London

Village sign

Castle Acre

in the county of Norfolk

River Irwell, Salford

Salford

in the county of Greater Manchester

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Fight the fuel tax rip-off!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:31 on 28th February 2008

Let me start by saying that I am not normally someone who stands on 'Speakers Corner' or any other corner shouting my mouth off for that matter, but I really feel that the time has come to make a stand over the cost of fuel here in the UK. We know that about 64 pence is tax on every litre of fuel sold to us lilly livered Brits, who just take the increase on the chin every time!

As well as the 2 pence per litre increase in tax on fuel during April that is proposed by this rotten Government, we have had in excess of 100 tax hikes since they came to power! Why do we put up with it? Why don't we take to the streets to protest as lots of minority groups do, and who get results. Name anything that we need to just survive these days and it has increased in cost, but we still say nothing, do nothing, we take it on the chin! Of course we can vote with our 'X' when the time comes, but will it make any difference? We need to do something about it, and NOW!!

I suggest there is not another Country in the World where the people would stand for it!  Can you imagine the American people being told your fuel is going to cost you £5.60 a gallon in April? Yes £5.60 a gallon! There would be riots in the streets!!

So what can we do about it? If anybody has any ideas please respond to this forum, the website being a brilliant resource to get things going with its millions of visitors!! Should we have a day of protest, perhaps an email signed by the millions who I believe will object, sent to the Government? Perhaps a one day a week 'drive at 5' (miles per hour that is) on our roads where we all take to the streets by taking a day off work? The Government would lose all sorts of revenue, and hopefully more than it will take from us by increasing the fuel tax, therefore eventually seeing that they are strangling the life out of us. Not only should we protest about the increase we should be demanding it be reduced considerably!

So fellow POE members, isn't it about time we did something about it? Why not email at least 2 or 3 friends, asking them to do the same. Relate it back to this forum and it will very quickly become a major campaign. Lets do something about this rip-off imposed upon us by this rotten Government now!     

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Judy Carol
Judy Carol
quotePosted at 15:28 on 28th February 2008

Hi Ron, being from the USA I do indeed understand what you are going through. "They" are telling us that by summer our gas will be over 4 dollars a gallon. I read from another source about a good idea. Because you DO need to buy gas to get around it might be a good idea to select the largest gas producing company in the UK and simply boycot that company. They will be forced to lower the prices thus allowing the others to follow suit. If everyone would boycot that company and work together, it might work. Just buy your gas from someone else for awhile. This idea is being passed around here so don't know if we can get enough supporters yet but it does seem to be a logical "fix".

Good luck

Judy

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:11 on 28th February 2008

The biggest problem we have here Judy is not so much the Company that is producing the fuel, but the greedy Government who slaps 64 pence tax on EVERY litre sold, thats £3.20 in tax on one gallon! The Chancellor of the Exchequer is the title held by the British Cabinet Minister responsible for all economic and financial matters, his name is Alistair Darling, so maybe we need to set up A D Day!

Thanks for your support and response Judy, I hope it goes well for you over there also. If you are able to email 2 or 3 friends with the campaign, albeit in the USA, we might yet get some new ideas on how to resolve this matter. Sooner or later they will have to take notice and with the supreme power of the internet through forums like this, we can do it! 

Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 14:08 on 29th February 2008
Increase the tax to such a level so that people can only afford to run small engined motors is the way to go. Increase the petrol tax even higher gets my vote every time. Modern small engined motors have been refined enough to supply the performance that almost everyone needs. Anyone who goes out to buy a 1600cc + gas guzzler should be treated with total and extreme contempt, the same contempt that they are showing me.

quote | editPosted at 16:03 on 29th February 2008

Ron I am totally on your side! Unfortunately, we are talking here, not about lovely England, but the sheeplike English as they have become. I wasn't born until eight years after the end of WW2...but we all know of the spirit of courage and defiance that prevailed in those days...sadly this country's character is increasingly supine and apathetic. I would join you in a 'go slow' but in my wildest dreams I cannot envisage The Great British Public taking an hour out with us, never mind a day. Added to which you have the increasing heavy mob in the shape of Her Majesty's Police 'Service'...who would no doubt have us out of our cars and in the cells before we had got into second gear. No, I cannot think of another nation that would stand idly by whilst their money and freedom is stolen from them..I know the French can go a bit overboard but you have to admire them...they all stick together....even the police.

England now worships at the altar of  Eastenders.....Big Brother and I'm A Celebrity..etc. etc.

Bt the way....I will never have an ID card forced on me.Smile.

Smile

Tracy Robertson
Tracy Robertson
quotePosted at 19:40 on 1st March 2008

Hi All -

this is very interesting as here in South Africa, next week wednesday our petrol will be R8,60 a litre  and they are expecting it to be around R10 a litre which would be R50 a gallon...... diesel goes up by R0.86 cents so will be close to R8 a litre.

It is all South Africans are talking about!!  

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:09 on 1st March 2008

Hi tracy

R8,60 - R10 per litre, R50 per gallon.....what does that equate to in GBP's?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:31 on 6th March 2008

I've since found out that R50 (South Africa) is equal to about £3.11 per gallon (GBP). That amount is LESS than our rotten Government take's from us in tax on EVERY GALLON!! We are paying about £3.20 per gallon in tax alone!!!! It's an absolute disgrace and this Government will find out how strongly we object when it comes to voting at the next Election.

Ron

Roses
Roses
quotePosted at 15:33 on 9th March 2008
as i recall, something was done for a couple days back in maybe 2002?  didn't the trucks stop running or something??  there were no deliveries to grocery stores for a couple days and of course the shelves became empty quickly of bread, milk, etc because people were getting quite worried.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:54 on 12th March 2008

Ah, so the POE forum has put the wind up Chancellor Alistair Darling eh? Diesel fuel locally is now costing £1.17p per litre...thats £5.85 a gallon! That is an outright disgrace...nothing less!

It has been suggested that he has decided not to put the increase of 2p per litre tax (another 10p a gallon) on fuel in his Budget, well not for at least 6 months anyway! C'mon POE members, weve got him on the run (if only) but why not alert other forums to this, create a link and who knows how big it could get? Nearly £6.00 a gallon!! There are no words to describe this rotten Government, other than perhaps those that I just used....Rotten, rotten, rotten!

Thats the power of POE! Keep it coming folks. 

1 2 3 4 5 Next >