Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The museum at Berkswell, Warwickshire

Berkswell

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Grey versus Red - I say control the grey!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 14:41 on 10th February 2009
They're pretty bossy here too.  At Salem Willows Park near my home, the grey squirrels come right up to you and beg for food, and if you don't give it to them they run up your leg and take it out of your hand. LOL!!! But still, while I understand the concept of "culling" I am loathed to kill them.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 14:46 on 10th February 2009
On 10th February 2009 14:40, Jason T wrote:
But we choose which animal travels???   mmmm  not sure?   its humans allowing for this to happen, normally these animals wouldn't meet! but we're giving them the opportunity, so as usual we upset the balance!!  yeah nature will sort it out for us, but it will change the course a bit!

What like Noah's Ark???  Humans maybe allow it to happen in a way but they are smart enough to figure out what to do!!!  Why should we make the decision for them?
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 15:00 on 10th February 2009

No, we take them to other islands in our boats/planes, once there they will thrive or be killed, now if we take an aggresive animal, and the native is passive, its obvious which will dominate, and eventually wipe out the other spieces. If we didn't cross the water it would never happen, the animals would never usually meet, we've caused it to happen, its completely manmade. Birds and fish travel, and i know can spread disease, but you don't see many mammals hitching a ride on a bird of fish!!Laughing  its us that do it. The ark??  well if you believe in that....it was human intervention again, and only took place to prevent complete extinction!

Survival of the fittest is good in a normal enviroment, as it should be, but when we intervene it usually goes wrong! 

Humans don't practice this, we nurture the weak!!

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 15:06 on 10th February 2009

But how else will animals evolve? To put them in a different enviorment or introduce a new animal couldn't the weakest learn how to behave in a better way..grow stronger...evolve into a better species?

And if this is all man made...haven't man done enough? So now do we cover up our mistakes by killing them or "sweeping them under the rug"?

Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 15:39 on 10th February 2009

No, i don't think we can really change it now its done, we can cull, but as we're culling one we're introducing something else!! so really i think maybe we made our bed, and should just put up with it!

The trouble is with expecting a spieces to learn how to behave differently, is, it takes a long long long time for evolution to do this!!  and the other spieces is aggresive and wipes them out before they have a chance to evolve!!

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 15:46 on 10th February 2009

Well they better hurry up then!!  Kidding!

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 18:07 on 10th February 2009
On 10th February 2009 15:00, Jason T wrote:

No, we take them to other islands in our boats/planes, once there they will thrive or be killed, now if we take an aggresive animal, and the native is passive, its obvious which will dominate, and eventually wipe out the other spieces. If we didn't cross the water it would never happen, the animals would never usually meet, we've caused it to happen, its completely manmade. Birds and fish travel, and i know can spread disease, but you don't see many mammals hitching a ride on a bird of fish!!Laughing  its us that do it. The ark??  well if you believe in that....it was human intervention again, and only took place to prevent complete extinction!

Survival of the fittest is good in a normal enviroment, as it should be, but when we intervene it usually goes wrong! 

Humans don't practice this, we nurture the weak!!

Excellent points Jason!!! I agree completely.
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 11:52 on 11th February 2009

Yeah, own squirrels first! Wink

But, what does the grey squirrels them-self think of this idea?

Grey Squirrel eating
Picture by Roger Hatley

Please mister, I beg you, don't shoot little me  Cry

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:07 on 11th February 2009
Ah, that'll bring the tears on Ted you wait and see! He, he members......like I said they taste nice!!
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 13:18 on 11th February 2009

Must believe that, Ron. Here some recipes. By the way, can they shoot some pigeons at the same time?

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/squirrel.html