Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Kielder Water fron Elk Pincic Site

Kielder

in the county of Northumberland

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Grey versus Red - I say control the grey!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:53 on 10th February 2009
So what am I talking about............squirrels! Our native squirrel is the red, but the grey that came from North America has taken over it seems. So what should we be doing about it, if anything? Will nature take care of itself in this situation or do we need to intervene to reduce the grey population who are apparently able to cope with 'squirrel pox, whereas the red can't. As an ex 'rough shooting' man, I would prefer to see the grey squirrel reduced in number in order that the red can be seen by our children. Question: When, if ever, did you see a red squirrel in the country? I would guess that apart from those living in Scotland, very few here in the UK have actually seen one in it's natural habitat! Therefore on balance, I say shoot a substantial number of grey squirrels! What is your opinion members?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
David Donnelly
David Donnelly
quotePosted at 11:21 on 10th February 2009
Yes, I agree but I thought there were occassional culls in certain parts of the country (probably not enough though). If I remember right there are a few "red havens" such as the Lake District, Brownsea Island and some parts of the Isle of Wight but there should be no problem with culling greys as they are classed as vermin after all. 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:06 on 10th February 2009
Yeah, I agree David, but you know what a load of 'pet lovers' we are here in the UK? And I will bet right now that somebody will defend culling them, you know something like 'ah poor little sweet things they are'. We shall see as this thread continue's.....but as you suggest they are just tree rats! They taste good in a casserole you know, like rabbit! C'mon POEers where's the flak?
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 14:18 on 10th February 2009
Sealed LOL!!!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 14:25 on 10th February 2009
Do they cause a lot of harm...the grey squirrels?
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:28 on 10th February 2009

The greys are 'harder' for want of a better word, so the red squirrels end up without a home!! the greys are just taking over. Greys eat all their food, take their space etc...

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 14:28 on 10th February 2009
Well thats nature for you!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:34 on 10th February 2009
Yeah i suppose it is, but they were introduced from America!!  so its not really natural!   well maybe it is, i mean its inevitable everything will end up one big soup considering how easy travel is now! so maybe your right, its just survival of the fittest as it always is!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 14:37 on 10th February 2009
That's been happening for eons! Native animals being introduced to different countries. So I think it's up to the animal kingdom to decide what should live and what should not.
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:40 on 10th February 2009
But we choose which animal travels???   mmmm  not sure?   its humans allowing for this to happen, normally these animals wouldn't meet! but we're giving them the opportunity, so as usual we upset the balance!!  yeah nature will sort it out for us, but it will change the course a bit!
1 2 3 4 Next >