Harwich

in the county of Essex

Camber Sands

Camber

a Seaside Town in the county of East Sussex

Southbourne Cliffs, Dorset

Southbourne

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

We have 1 day....

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rick Scott
Rick Scott
quotePosted at 17:49 on 11th April 2010
My son is moving to Melbourne and my wife and I will visit in October.  We will head off on our own for 1 day to run around and see a few sites, etc.  I don't want to spend much time on travel getting to somewhere, so can you advise which county/city would be best for us to visit on our day.  I'm thinking along the lines of Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Cheshire or Yorkshire.  Which of these areas will we find the most interesting sites and be able to spend a very enjoyable day?  We will be going to London with our son and his family on another day.  Also, how far from Melbourne would Lincolnshire's coast be?  Thanks,   Rick
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:46 on 12th April 2010
Hello Rick and welcome to POE. I take it that it is Melbourne in Derbyshire? Derbyshire is a lovely place to explore in itself - the Peak District, Bakewell, Matlock Bath (that is a personal favourite place of mine, there is so much to do - go up on the cable cars (Height of Abraham) and there is a great tram museum nearby. Matlock Bath had illuminations last year in October every weekend and fireworks - don't know if any are planned this year. My advice to you would be to stay in Derbyshire for your day of exploring - save on journey time and it has so much to offer.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:18 on 12th April 2010

Oxford is very nice Rick (welcome to POE incidentally) and then there is the 'other' place. Umm, err can I bring myself to mention it? The answer is no, but it begins with Ca......and is in Lincolnshire! Lol

Either way enjoy it Rick and especially the good advice above from Stephanie.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:22 on 12th April 2010

thought you were refering to Melbourne, Australia, lol . As Steph says, if its Melbourne in Derbyshire, England (pronounced Darbyshire), then its in the centre of England and about 2 to 3 hours drive from the coast. theres lots to see/do in every county and to be honest you wont see that much in a day, plus as it will be october we will just be going into our winter and it will be going dark about 4.30pm

A day trip to London by train wont give too much time to see many sites in London, possibly Big Ben, a view of the Tower, westminster abbey, parliment and Buckingham palace (all from the outside). My advice, other than a'flying' rail journey to the 'big smoke' (London) is to stay in Derbyshire, theres lots to see and do there but you'll probly need your warm clothing. You could be lucky as we sometimes do get good weather in October. Good luck Smile

Rick Scott
Rick Scott
quotePosted at 15:31 on 12th April 2010
Thanks for the welcome.  Since we will be staying with my son for a week, I'm sure he will likely be showing us around Derbyshire quite a bit so that's why I'm feeling we may want to wander somewhat but still not spend much of our day getting someplace.  If you rule out Derbyshire, and just stay within a county or two of there please give me your best choices keeping in mind that we want to possibly end our day at a historic hotel or B&B with a nice dinner. Thanks again,  Rick 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:37 on 12th April 2010
Save yourself some money Rick and support POE at the same time by booking your accommodation through the website www.picturesofengland.com/hotels/  Yes, you actually get your accommodation cheaper than by going direct to the hotel. Good luck!
Kevin Tebbutt
Kevin Tebbutt
quotePosted at 19:51 on 12th April 2010
Iif you only had one day I would suggest Chatsworth house, It is still in Derbyshire but further North and is one of the best stately homes in Britain. There is also the old market town of Bakewell to explore nearby if you have any time left which has hotels ( I think the Rutland Arms is the best known and quite old)and plenty of other places to eat.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:12 on 12th April 2010
try and get to lancashire rick and get some black-puddings dewn thi neck.Laughing
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 20:49 on 12th April 2010
Black Pudding. Yuk!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:56 on 12th April 2010
dont you like em peg,i go to bury market now and again and buy em there they are very tasty.