Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Mark's, the Lord Mayor's Chapel

Bristol

a Historic City in the county of Somerset

Spinnaker Tower

Portsmouth

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Election 2010....are you fed up yet?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:43 on 6th May 2010
to-morrow mid morning i would say krissy,i aint been watching any of it    so who gets in they will still be giving our money away.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 20:46 on 6th May 2010
I can't wait!! It's all very exciting, really!
JauntyJane
JauntyJane
quotePosted at 22:59 on 6th May 2010

I will stick up for Gordon Brown when he wrote that sympathy letter to the Grenadier Guardsman's Mum.  Alright, he got the spelling wrong but at least he took the trouble to write.

About 15 years ago, when I wrote letters to the Government (the Tories) and copied in letters to the opposition, about things that were worrying me, i.e. the closure of our coal mines and ever increasing reliance on gas fired power stations, our steel industry and unfair competition from elswhere in Europe, and our fishermen losing their livlihoods, at least I got several pages of written response back, including letters from the opposition.  However, now when I write to Parliament I am lucky if I receive a card through the door acknowledging my letter.

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:18 on 7th May 2010
I didn't hear the story of the letter to that mum. Can you tell me more about it?
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:35 on 7th May 2010

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226278/Jacqui-Janes-Mother-dead-soldier-confronts-Brown-letter-errors-equipment-shortages-astonishing-13-minute-phone-call.html

Think that will explain it Patrick.

I have no problems with Gordon Brown personally - my business partner & his wife met him and he spent time talking to them (wonder what he said behind their backs - LOL). They thought he seemed very sincere, he was Chancellor at the time and he suggested my business could help him with the Budget which was funny!!!

I am ready for a change now though - hope the Hung Parliament won't cause too much trouble in our country.

Edited by: Stephanie Jackson at:7th May 2010 07:39
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 08:22 on 7th May 2010
Thanks for the link !
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:51 on 7th May 2010

Well, there you have it! A HUNG parliment.

No over whole winner. Gordon Brown will (as is his constitutional right as the sitting Primeminister) talk to the other minor parties to do a deal and form the next Government, at least for the next nine months before calling another election.

This could be a good thing for the minor parties such as the Lib Dem's could get their Proportional representation they so badly want. The Welsh and Scots Nationlists could get deals they want but could never achieve, and of course the tory cuts will be put on hold.

Perhaps Gordon Brown may resign in a couple of months and a new labour leader will be in power at the next election, which could also have proposional representation. It seems a very good time to change the way we vote which has been needed for a long long time.

The Conservative party has failed to get the majority it needed to govern and they realy should have done better considering they won a lot of 'protest' vote from people not happy with the 'war' situation, not happy that GB took over from Tony Blair or just because they didnt particuly like the way GB looks.

For those moaning about the fact that the tories gained the most seats, is it democratic that a member should win a seat by only taking 35% of the constituancy vote when 65% of the voters didnt vote for him?

A new election next year, with proposional representation will produce an accurate and fair elected government. History in the making!!

You heard it first on POE!!

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:59 on 7th May 2010
On 7th May 2010 07:18, patrick van calck wrote:
I didn't hear the story of the letter to that mum. Can you tell me more about it?

It should be noted Patrick that Gordon Brown has only got one eye, the result of a 'rugby playing' accident when he was younger. he therefore handwrites  using a black marker pen, at least he takes the 'trouble' to write in his own hand, to families of berieved soldiers. I dont recall the Conservative Mrs Thatcher doing the same during the 'Falklands' conflict.
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 10:25 on 7th May 2010
On 7th May 2010 09:59, lancashirelove wrote:
On 7th May 2010 07:18, patrick van calck wrote:

It should be noted Patrick that Gordon Brown has only got one eye, the result of a 'rugby playing' accident when he was younger. he therefore handwrites  using a black marker pen, at least he takes the 'trouble' to write in his own hand, to families of berieved soldiers. I dont recall the Conservative Mrs Thatcher doing the same during the 'Falklands' conflict.
And there were suite some letters to be written.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 09:11 on 12th May 2010

Can anyone explain to me how almost everyone complained that Gordon Brown was not elected as PM,but it is OK for Cameron to make Clegg deputy PM. Clegg  came in third at the polls,yet he is now deputy  PM. We did not vote for him.

This just seems wrong to me,or am I missing something? Dont get me wrong,I am not a political animal at all,but I thought that the leaders of the government were supposed to be elected to that position. Or at least inherit it due to the death or otherwise of the elected leader.

Just an observation. And of course  a question.