Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Clocktower of St George's Church, Gravesend, Kent

Gravesend

in the county of Kent

Hartington

Hartington

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Planning a vacation

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

Carol Byers
Carol Byers
quotePosted at 15:46 on 6th November 2011

Hello everyone,  I'm new here, wonderful source of great photos and interesting thoughts. 

My husband and I are planning a trip to England in the spring.  We love to visit your amazing country when we get a chance. 

We have our eye on Burnham On Sea. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

BTW, I know that smell discussed on a previous thread.  I live at 9.300 ft in the mountains.  It's very arid and winter is long.  To me that intoxicating aroma is the smell of growing things.  England is so alive.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:54 on 6th November 2011

Hi Carol and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. It really is a great site with a great family of members, enjoy it!

There are so many beautiful places here in England (Wales, Scotland, Ireland also) to take your fancy that it's almost impossible to suggest a start point for you.

No doubt members will argue (sorry discuss lol) various options, but I will set the ball rolling by saying Oxford where I met C S Lewis many years ago as a boy, really is the place to be!

BTW when you book your accommodation, do it via POE because you can save yourself £££££'s Click on the following link to get started http://www.picturesofengland.com/hotels/

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:04 on 6th November 2011

Hi Carol and welcome to POE. You'll find us a jolly, if not sometimes, crazy crowd. We enjoy a good deal of merry banter in the forums so please join in, you will be more than welcome, new face...new ideas for fun and games.

Ron is quite right there could be 'serious' discussions as to where to visit, and by starting the ball rolling he may have opened a huge can of worms........but that can only be good for you as you will get lots of choices put to you, and of course you can check them all out by looking the pictures on the site.

My favourite part of the country by far is The Lake District, but I am sure that you will get a lot of suggestions for other areas

PPE indeed! lol

Edited by: Ron Brind at:6th November 2011 17:07
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 18:57 on 6th November 2011
No, No, No Dave....it has to YORKSHIRE!!!    with Scotland a very close second :) 
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 19:01 on 6th November 2011
Forgot to say a big Welcome to POE Carol, enjoy the whole site, it's a wonderful place to be.....sit back and watch the suggested holiday destinations roll in, it's all good rivalry and enjoyable banter.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:19 on 6th November 2011
I can see this is gonna be a very interesting thread, really looking forward to the 'disputes'!!! and I wholeheartedly agree with Scotland as a very close second.....Rannoch Moor specifically.....but only to The Lakes . . . .
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:06 on 6th November 2011
THE LAND OF THE PASTY--- KERNOW (CORNWALL).  Welcome Carol to POE and for my tenpennyworth I shall nominate Cornwall for a visit, there is so much history there and sights of coastline (one of the longest in UK), superb moorland and so much to eat and drink. You will have a problem getting to see it all in the time you have. One of our forum members is there now so watch out for his report later in the week.  Speaking of the forums you can join in and meet the POE family have fun, learn allsorts but most of all on POE see the stunning collection of pictures. Once again Carol- Welcome.
Carol Byers
Carol Byers
quotePosted at 16:15 on 7th November 2011

Wow.  I am amazed at the response my question elicited.  Thank you so much for all your suggestions.  I checked them all out and now am in a quandry.  It's all so beautiful....  I orininally chose that stretch of coastline because after having read 'Pliiars of the Earth' by Ken Follett I need to see the cathedral at Salisbury again.  I am inland and like to be near the sea when I travel.  But now... I think the answer is to try and lengthen my stay.   I will do more research!  Thank you again! 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:08 on 7th November 2011

hello carol and welcome to the site --you must visit  LANCASHIRE the nicest county in the british isles,the friendliest people,the most handsome men,the best scenery --what more do you need Wink

vince i wasnt keen on the pasties i dont care if i never see another -the last time i was down there they were £2-60 this time they were £3--80 we only had the oneFrown

Carol Byers
Carol Byers
quotePosted at 18:46 on 7th November 2011

Isn't this fun?

James-that about sums it up for me.  Along with a delicious pint after a long walk.

On my way to the Lancaxhire website..All these districts and counties have GORGEOUS sites to visit!
1 2 3 4 Next >