Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Arbroath Harbour

Arbroath

in the county of Angus

Scenic Swanage

Swanage

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Planning a vacation

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 19:23 on 7th November 2011

Hello Carol.  As a born and bred Devonian I must, of course, nominate Devon!  I have to disagree with Vince about the moorland in Cornwall ...Dartmoor is much more spectacular, and the coastline is equally good! :)

James, I totally agree with you about the pasties.  I wouldn't dream of buying one (not even in Devon) Ha! Ha!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:49 on 7th November 2011
Lancashire is very close the Lake District Carol, so you be sure to check on 'The Lakes'.....it really is the only place to be.....
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:04 on 7th November 2011
On 6th November 2011 20:06, Vince Hawthorn wrote:
THE LAND OF THE PASTY--- KERNOW (CORNWALL).  Welcome Carol to POE and for my tenpennyworth I shall nominate Cornwall for a visit, there is so much history there and sights of coastline (one of the longest in UK), superb moorland and so much to eat and drink. You will have a problem getting to see it all in the time you have. One of our forum members is there now so watch out for his report later in the week.  Speaking of the forums you can join in and meet the POE family have fun, learn allsorts but most of all on POE see the stunning collection of pictures. Once again Carol- Welcome.
Ah! Says the Surrey Pasty! lol
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:58 on 8th November 2011

Hi Carol and a very warm welcome to POE!!  My favourites would be Kent, The New Forest in Hampshire, and The Malvern Hills in Worcestershire (I like Herefordshire too!)  Then of course there is the gorgeous Cotswolds!!

You can see that you can just about visit anywhere in England and find something gorgeous or scenic or spectacular or historical.  So you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.  At least I don't think so.  

Just beware of Lancashire - there are some strange people live there ..... isn't that so James?  LOL!Laughing 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:08 on 8th November 2011
bet you wish you lived up here ---ehSmile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:10 on 8th November 2011
Much too cold and wet!! (Lived in Cheshire for 8 years and that was close enough!! lol)
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 11:36 on 10th November 2011

Hi Carol,Burnham on sea is ok, but futher round the coast ... west, is better!!  get past minehead, and the scenery gets stunning, i love the north somerset/Devon coastline!!

Minehead to Illfracombe is lovely, you'll pass Dunster castle ...well worth a visit!, Lynton Lynmouth, Porlock, it really is nice!  the road touches on the north of Exmoor too so you have views both ways!

From Burnham your not far from Cheddar gorge, great place to visit too!!

Thats if your definately staying at burnham ...but like the others have said, theres loads of beautiful places to visit!!  the lakes, North Yorkshire, Peak district, Cotswolds ...i could go on and on.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:05 on 10th November 2011
Not sure if you know it Carol but you only have to type a name into the search box (top left) like Lancashire, to take you straight to a whole lot of information, without leaving POE.
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 14:12 on 10th November 2011
And a whole load of photos from the area too!!!!
Deeann Harkness
Deeann Harkness
quotePosted at 15:18 on 30th December 2011

My name is Deeann Harkness and I am looking for a place to visit in England. I am from the USA and live in FLorida. I lived in Upper Heyford, England at the AFB a long time ago with my husband for 3 years. I loved England and I have always wanted to go back. I was thinking about visiting Surrey, England. I heard it was very beautiful there.

Everything about England I love. The people were so nice when we were there so long ago.My husband has passed away, but I still want to visit. I think Upper Heyford has closed down and it is no longer an AFB. Those were the good ole days living there.

Here in FLorida, I watch House Hunters International just so I can see what they have to offer in houses and cottages in England. I know one thing it is really expensive to buy a house there. I guess a person really needs to rent a place. I just want to visit and tour some of England.    

I hope I hear from someone, so I could hear all about Surrey or any other place that would be good to visit.

By the way I loved going to the pubs when we were there. Cool

Deeann