Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cameron mocks the disabled

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:01 on 13th January 2012
This just goes to show that politics is a very personal, passionate and volatile subject capable of producing 'lively' debate even on this, one of the freindliest sites onthe 'net. Me, I try to steer clear if I can. I think it could be well into the next government term, whoever that may be, before we see any dramatic changes such is the gravity of the current situation.  Anyway thats my view and my final comment on it....I hate politics but unfortunatley there has to be some form of government
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

quote | editPosted at 20:54 on 13th January 2012

Perhaps my wording was a bit strong.  What I am really worried about is the chance of more unrest in Britain.

Some of you will remember the problems suffered under Thatcher, and it would be wise to learn from past mistakes.

Thatcher wanted to crush the working classes, and the miners were her main target.  First she sent in the storm troopers to break up the miners strike.  Then it became personal.  Thatcher fixated on dear old Arthur Scargill, the miners leader.  A lovely man admired by all.

Arthur Scargill was loved world wide for his intelligence, skill and caring nature.  A man regarded as a saint on this planet.  He did however have far more to offer.  With his dashing good looks women everywhere wanted him in their bed.

Thatcher could not cope with not being king pin and the order was given to get "our Arthur".

Thatchers thugs knocked Arthur to the ground and took him away for yet another beating.  Millions watched in horror at those heart wrenching TV broadcasts.  The great man laid on the ground battered and bleeding.

They could not break his spirit,  Arthur, with his body racked in pain, shouted the famous words :

"Don't talk to me about the pits,  I am the pits" 

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 20:22 on 12th April 2012

Golly guys, I just had to come on this because I, myself am disabled.  Only Vince Hawthorn knows how much as his own daughter is disabled.

But you are using some names I am not familiar with and your own British codes language. Americans have their own codes language only truly understood by us. As a young woman I tried to immigrate to Britain where I had been so comfortable, amazed by the kindness of strangers who became friends and all the marvelous history I wanted to have a share in as my ancestors had.  Not permitted!

So now I am a tried and true American. My income for my disability has been completely cut off.  I have a small share in my husband's social security income and he has a small 10% disabled due to military service during the Vietnam era (He is very hard of hearing) but we have been reduced nearly to paupers.  However there is a light finally. Our rare book, first edition with signature, 182 yrs.old may fetch a sum we've finally been told that may be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars which is like the song The Impossible Dream.

Thank you gentlemen. Humbly I remain your friend, Linda Mary

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 18:46 on 13th April 2012

To Linda-Mary, I hope your book sells for the sum you hope for, and the money it brings goes some way to relieving your difficulties. I feel for you, because it seems that the disability benefits in the UK (despite the cut-backs) are far more generous than in the United States. There was an enormous increase in the number of people claiming these benefits in the UK under the previous Labour administration, and what is happening now is all part of returning from a system which was out of control. Many disabled people need these benefits, although there are others who have used them to fund the purchase of luxury vehicles which are far in excess of their needs, as can be seen by anyone passing a disabled parking area in any UK town. 

Edited by: Sarah at:14th April 2012 08:51

quote | editPosted at 19:34 on 13th April 2012

Edward.  My wife and I are find your remarks to be incorrect and, to be honest, nothing short of disgusting.

My wife is disabled.  The Motability supplied car is on a 3 year lease, not a purchase, then it goes back to Motability.  It is a modest hatchback, only just big enough to carry her wheelchair.

The fact that she has a wheelchair may give you a clue that she is disabled.

Clearly you are brain washed in to believing the Tory rubbish about disabled people having nothing wrong with them.

You can have her car and benefits.  Just have her MS to go with it.

You may be some Tory boy, thats your problem, but try learning the facts before spouting such biased, inhuman, thoughtless b....y rubbish.

Luxury vehicles ?  you know nothing!  Disabled ? surprised you can spell the word.

PS

RON. Too strong a reply ?  These people need to be educated.  Not happy ?  Fine, bar me..... I am damn well steaming over this. 

Edited by: Ron Brind at:13th April 2012 21:46
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:44 on 13th April 2012

Why ask me Mick? The forum is the place to have your say, providing it remains family friendly that is. Maybe you have forgotten that both Anna and I are also disabled, with several awful incurable medical issues to contend with so we absolutely know where you stand on this.

I would add that all I am going to do is edit your post to disguise a couple of words that some might find as offensive, as you do Edwards post.

Calm down Mick you are among friends.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:47 on 13th April 2012
We are with you Mick, know exactly where you are coming from.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:53 on 13th April 2012

Having read through Edwards post again I think he is right in part in that he suggests 'the system was out of control'.I also happen to think there are people who don't actually deserve the allowance, whilst others do, but can't get help.

'Many disabled people need these benefits' he is right on that bit at least!

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:20 on 13th April 2012
Perhaps I should clarify, for Mick's benefit, that the luxury vehicles I sometimes see in disabled bays are the £60,000 + BMW or Mercedes SUVs with disabled badges displayed on them. Obviously not all the vehicles in the disabled bays are in this category. There are many people such as your self who drive modest vehicles which are essential for purpose. However, even though these are lease cars, you are still driving a newer car than Mr. Average. I still remain curious as to how with increasing healthcare the number of people on disability has rocketed under Labour. Clearly many are genuine cases, as I am sure your wife's is, and no offence was intended to you or your wife personally.

Edited by: Sarah at:14th April 2012 08:54

quote | editPosted at 22:56 on 13th April 2012

Edward

You are mixing up a Blue disabled parking badge with BENEFITS to pay for a car !

(A) You could have £10Million in the bank.  Pay £60000 + for the BMW.  A normal private purchase.  If your Doctor agrees that you can not  walk far / in a wheelchair then he/she will sign to support your application for a parking badge.   Clearly you have seen cars owned by wealthy people with a disability. BENEFITS DO NOT run to buying £60000 car !!!!!

(B) If you claim Disability Living Allowance you may get Care money and Mobility money.  My wife (and many others) decide to hand over their Mobility money to the Motabilty charity.  They are authorised by the DWP to receive the money and supply a loan car.  Yes there is a good choice of makes / models.  The money is enough to obtain a typical hatchback that has a value of £10-£12K usually.  After 3 years you hand it back to Motability who will sell it off.  You never own the car, its in effect a rental.  

Believe me, a badge is a badge, for health problems.

A BMW / Merc is not a benefit claimant !!!

Hopes this clarifies what goes on.