Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Buttermere view

Buttermere

in the county of Cumbria

Rufford Old Hall, Lancashire

Rufford

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

FAQ's

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 20:43 on 7th June 2008
On 4th June 2008 19:44, Diana Sinclair wrote:

Does Mrs. T have armed police in the barn when she is filming Denzil?

Diana, it's the stable, remember?  Not the barn. Laughing
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 20:56 on 7th June 2008

Quiet day on the POE today.  You must all be out and about enjoying your wonderful summers and long days.  All I can say is "Must be nice....."  This is the time of year we start cocooning where I live.

Today I took out my road map of N. England, and was mostly looking at the towns around you, Andy.  Yes, I can see you're very near York, you lucky dog!  But I ran across some geographical terms that I would like someone to explain, if you would be so kind.  Fen, Fell, Wold.   Don't know what any of these are - I suppose I could look them up, but I'm just too lazy today.  Besides I'd rather hear it from y'all.

I think there are fens in Massachusetts, aren't there, Diana?  I think Fenway Park was named after fens.  As for fells, the only fell I ever heard about was the one in Cats.  ".......the fiend of the fell."  Wold - no clue.

And a couple more for you, Andy.  A couple of your photos are labeled "Beverley plump."  Please explain.  Plump over here is usually preceded by the adjective "pleasingly."  Also please explain "Riding" as in East Riding of Yorkshire.  Why are't N, W,and S Yks also called Riding?

Thank you - Your very inquisitive friend, RG

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:03 on 7th June 2008

You'll never guess what!!!  As I was checking out the N. England road map, I found a town, that's not too far from you, Andy.  From your town you would take the M62 and get off near Howden, then north on the B1228 a couple miles and there it is.  The name of the town is BRIND !!!

I wonder if it's a legendary town.  Or maybe the birthplace of LEG END ARY! Surprised

Maybe next time you're over that way, Andy, you could take a few photos for us so we can see what Brind looks like.  It's still in Yorkshire, so I have not doubt it's lovely.

L
L
quotePosted at 21:04 on 7th June 2008
Oh dear Ruth, its lucky you're not asking me all those questions cos I can't answer a single one! lol But I CAN say the weather here where I live has been good the past 2 days, not exactly boiling hot...but sunny and pleasant Smile

quote | editPosted at 23:20 on 7th June 2008

Lyn, it's been sunny and pleasant here too and I was able to hang out all my washing instead of burning money with the tumble dryerSmile

Ruth I can't answer your questions either but I'm sure there's someone who can. 

I also thought Mrs Tregallion was filming in the barn....it's pretty much like a stable. A bit like C.S Lewis and Lewis Carrol...easily confused.  Though I don't expect Ron to agree with me.Smile

Jo Adams
Jo Adams
quotePosted at 23:51 on 7th June 2008
On 4th June 2008 04:32, Ruth Gregory wrote:
Back to the FAQ's:  What good British radio stations can you suggest that we Yanks can listen to online?

Hi Ruth

I listen to Somerset Live quite a lot while I'm using the computer.  David likes TV but I can do without that most of the time!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio  particularly Trevor Fry who is on Monday to Friday at 7pm until 10pm (English time).  Every so often he contacts someone in USA or Canada who lives in a town with the same name as one of our towns.  They usually give a website address which is very interesting. A lovely website is http://www.dunsterbc.net/ .  It was apparently named by a man who left Dunster (about 20 miles from me) and started a community over in Canada.

Let me know what you think of him and his programme if you get around to listening.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:05 on 8th June 2008
staying with BBC Local Radio, I can also well recommend BBC Radio Berkshire from 5AM our time onwards. www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire  with Listen to Now on lower-ish right.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:42 on 8th June 2008

Well Ruth, I was educated in Colorado and certainly recall a lot of US history being taught, though very little about the state itself, unfortunately. but, they did leave out some bits that didn't quite fit the curriculum; for example----

Benjamin Franklin; well known for assorted things in history. but, on you map showing High wycombe, Bucks., Mr F was a visitor there when he was Post Master General, and his friend, Sir Francis Dashwood, ran the notorious Hell Fire Club there when Mr F and other friends did a bit of womanising during his UK visits. He was also a pormoter of taking so-called sun baths. Much of his Biography was written in Hampshire.

Looking lower down he map on the East Sussex coast, you'll find Bexhill-on-Sea and on the sea front is the De La Warr Pavilion, named after the Earl of De La Warr, who also happened to give the family name to the State of Delaware.

America's Civil War ( 1861-65) technically speaking, wasn't. It was America's 2nd Revolution if the words were used correctly. So, how did it end up being called a Civil War?

There's alsorts of US history things that get left out when being taught, or no one questions why this or that? Like--why are US bank notes full of Freemason's symbols in their design? There's US history there not even being noticed, probably.

L
L
quotePosted at 08:42 on 8th June 2008
Wish I woz klever like wot u are Paul Wink
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:34 on 8th June 2008
Oh yes you are Lyn!  You can't fool me keeping it hidden in a nicely wrapped package which seems to have been delivered to this forum at least 1,097 times now, and we've all had a peek inside!