Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Mary church, Walton, Brampton Cumbria

Brampton

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your thoughts on prayer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 19:46 on 6th September 2008

Yes, I was surprised too, John.  It refreshing to see a site that admits to "not knowing." 

As to what you posted about fear of death - the fear of death is definitely biological, otherwise there woudn't be much left of homo sapiens by now, would there?  I guess my answer is that I too, believe that life continues after death, although in what way, shape or form, haven't a clue.  But I trust a loving God.  What a great gift from God, eh?  Having that belief.  Wink  You mentioned earlier on that I have a belief in a body and a soul.  I can't find exactly what you said - do you believe this thread is now up to 45 pages already?  But this opinion is an illustration of that belief. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

editPosted at 23:29 on 6th September 2008

Why not every scientist worships at Darwin's feet

This is an interesting read from Professor John Lennox regarding the implications of Darwinism.

"Indeed, the fact that there are brilliant scientists who believe in God and brilliant scientists who don't makes it clear that the conflict is not a simplistic one between science and religion, but between opposing world views - naturalism and theism..."

"In 2009, when the champagne is uncorked in celebration of Darwin's legacy, we might pause to consider the presuppositions we bring to the question of what his theory tells us about God. There are essentially only two options. Either the wonder of human intelligence ultimately owes its origin to mindless matter; or there is a creator. It remains a mystery to me why some people claim it is their intelligence that leads them to prefer the first to the second."

This is just part of of an interesting article that was written last month, John.  So whilst I appreciate you have your views, things are not as cut and dried as you would have us believe, in the world of science.  

John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
Posted at 07:25 on 7th September 2008
I don't think I ever said they were cut and dried, Sue. 

Religious belief among scientists (certainly in the UK) is far less common than in the population at large. But obviously there are some scientists who or believers - scientists are human, after all. 

You might find this video interesting. It's a discussion between John Lennox and Professor John Lennox.

John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
Posted at 07:27 on 7th September 2008
Ooops... no, he isn't talking to himself. He's talking to Richard Dawkins - but try not to let his name stop you listening, Sue.

editPosted at 11:40 on 7th September 2008
I have already found this, John, last night and didn't have time to watch it so put it in Favourites. I shall certainly watch it tonight. Richard Dawkins with the floor to himself puts me off, but not when he is being challenged.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
Posted at 11:52 on 7th September 2008

As you know, I don't visit this thread an awful lot, coward that I am....but I just want to say a little something about 'fear of death'. How often do we think about dying? I've never really even given it a thought...I imagine it's just something to think about when we're ill, or our car is teetering over the edge of a mountain. It doesn't scare me one iota, if it did I wouldn't be doing one of the most dangerous jobs in the world for a living.

I suppose, realistically, I face death every day when I'm driving.....I've certainly seen plenty of terrible accidents on the road (not as many as Jason, obviously, but enough to count). But I still don't conciously give it a thought, and neither should any of us. Birth, death and the bit in between are all natural acts, why should any of them worry us?

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
Posted at 11:57 on 7th September 2008
I don't visit this thread much either Andy - I'm a coward too - the people who put things here are so clever and well read)!!! I am scared to death of death!!! I don't want to leave my children without a mother. I never bothered before I had them (I used to do rally driving and other dangerous stuff!!) but now I am ultra cautious. There - I'm running away from the thread now!  
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
Posted at 12:30 on 7th September 2008
That's not fear Stephanie, that's maternal instinct.

editPosted at 16:49 on 7th September 2008

I don't want to die, Andy!!  And Stephanie is showing her maternal instinct, as you said. I can't see anything brave about taking part in this thread, and I'm just trying to give my views on something I feel strongly about. Stephanie must be talking about John and Ruth (and Diana) when she mentions folks being clever!! 

editPosted at 17:03 on 7th September 2008

John, I see your link was just a shorter version.....much shorter....than the one I found. It goes on for over one-and-a-half hours. Sorry but it was too much for me.   I gave up after about 25 minutes or so. But not before noting Richard Dawkins used the words 'lunacy' 'nutty' and another unflattering word which excapes me at the moment, to describe any view he does not agree with. He's such a turn off. Perhaps John Lennox replied in kind but I didn't listen long enough to find out.

Next on my shopping list is John Lennox's book.....apparently he dismantles many of Dawkin's claims. There are a number of books doing that. I came across another last night. Unfortunately they never get the publicity that Mr Dawkin's musings recieve.