Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Charmouth, Dorset

Charmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your thoughts on prayer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 21:12 on 8th September 2008
I think I agree with what Diana said, Paul.  Options 1 and 2 seem to have the same outcome.  So do you take the chance, because you want to try anything to keep them living, or do you think, they'll die with or without the surgery, so why put them thru it? 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

editPosted at 21:26 on 8th September 2008
I actually did go with option one, Paul. Not just me but my sister too. It concerned my Mum, and they said the same thing only not the 'vegetable' bit. Just that she was so frail the op would probably kill her. If there was no op she would live maybe 6 months. Mum was in no position mentally, to make a decision, and we didn't want to put her through more surgery. So, amidst many tears we decided against the op. We took her home and cared for her.  To our amazement and joy she gained strength, put back on some of the weight she'd lost and actually lived another six years and passed away at eighty six years of age. But every case and person is unique, and each has to make their own choice.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 22:09 on 8th September 2008

Wow, Sue, that's wonderful to hear.  Thanks for sharig that.  You hear so many stories like that, of people beating the odds.  And yes, I don't believe there's any right or wrong answer here.  It depends on the individuals and the circumstances.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
Posted at 22:24 on 8th September 2008
Thank you Sue, and Ruth too going for Option 1 in her comment regarding age. That was a phonecall I got on my mobile while driving the bus and had about a minute or so to decide about my mother. I too very rapidly thought of the comments Ruth brought up and yours as well.No one to discuss it with.  I opted to let God take her in His time and chose option 1, rightly or wrongly. I said my last good bye's to her a few days later; that evening after I'd seen her, the hospital rang again.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 22:28 on 8th September 2008
On 8th September 2008 22:24, Paul Hilton wrote:
Thank you Sue, and Ruth too going for Option 1 in her comment regarding age. That was a phonecall I got on my mobile while driving the bus and had about a minute or so to decide about my mother. I too very rapidly thought of the comments Ruth brought up and yours as well.No one to discuss it with.  I opted to let God take her in His time and chose option 1, rightly or wrongly. I said my last good bye's to her a few days later; that evening after I'd seen her, the hospital rang again.

There's the key, Paul.  And that's why it was the right decision.

editPosted at 23:11 on 8th September 2008
It's never easy to find yourself in these kinds of situations, Paul, especially when it involves our loved ones. I think you made the right decision, too.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 07:06 on 9th September 2008

Wow, this was quite a discussion. Personally I believe in an afterlife and that there is a just and merciful God.  I don't want to die either, and sometimes I really feel like I'm running out of time, like you mentioned, John.  I remember when I turned 50 thinking that unless I live to be 100, my life was now more than half over and odds are that, at best, I might only have half as many years left as I'd already lived, and that didn't seem very long.  But I take Jesus at his word, when He talked about God being the God of the living - and he was referring to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, long since dead.  And I also hold on to St. Paul's message to the Corinthians:  What no eye has seen and no ear has heard, what the mind of man cannot visualize; all that God has prepared for those who love him.  Being a believer, I take great comfort in that.  And that's what allows me to go thru life not obsessing about or fearing death, as you mentioned Andy.  If I didn't believe this, I'd be petrified.

I don't want to die either, and I guess I'm the opposite of you, Chris.  I'm not afraid of what's on the other side of the door, it's the door I fear.   And I guess that's the biological side, the instinct of self-preservation that John talks about.  And if we simply slip into oblivion and become worm food, I guess it won't trouble me anyway.  But that possibility doesn't even enter my head.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 07:19 on 9th September 2008
On 8th September 2008 09:19, John Ravenscroft wrote:
John, God stole my avatar too. lol.

He's collecting them, Ruth. He's pinned yours onto his Good Girl Wall. I shudder to think what he's done with mine!

Pinned to the dartboard next to the pearly gate, eh John?  Wink

I guess since you don't believe in God, you have nothing to fear.  But I'll tell you something, John.  There isn't anything that a person can do or say or think or believe that would make God stop loving him or her.  Another of the fallacies propagated by misguided religion.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 07:25 on 9th September 2008

OK, I think it's time to lighten this up a little.  So I'll tell you why people stay Catholic.

Because one day, Jesus was walking thru heaven and he noticed a lot of riff-raff who probably shouldn't be there.  So he goes to the pearly gate and asks Peter how they got in.  "I didn't let them in, Lord," was his reply.  The Lord said, "Well you're the gate keeper.  What, were you off fishing again?:

Peter said, "No, Lord.  They come up to the gate and I turn them away, then they go round to the back door and your mother lets them in."  Smile

John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
Posted at 09:27 on 9th September 2008

Ha!

Nice one, Ruth. At the risk of turning this into a religious jokes thread, here's one I quite like:

The Lord called to Adam and said, "It is time for you and Eve to begin the process of populating the earth so I want you to kiss her." 

Adam answered, "Yes Lord, but what is a kiss?" So the Lord gave a brief description to Adam who took Eve by the hand and took her to a nearby bush. 

A few minutes later, Adam emerged and said, "Thank you Lord, that was enjoyable." 

And the Lord replied, "Yes Adam, I thought you might enjoy that - and now I'd like you to caress Eve."

And Adam said, " 'What is a 'caress'? So the Lord again gave Adam a brief description and Adam went behind the bush with Eve.

Quite a few minutes later, Adam returned, smiling, and said, "'Lord, that was even better than the kiss."

And the Lord said, "'You've done well Adam. And now I want you to make love to Eve."

And Adam asked, "What is 'make love' Lord?"' So the Lord again gave Adam directions and Adam went again to Eve behind the bush, but this time he reappeared in two seconds. 

And Adam said, "Lord, what is a 'headache'?"