Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Sheerness, on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent

Sheerness

in the county of Kent

Mow Cop at sunset

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your thoughts on prayer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
Posted at 14:02 on 8th September 2008

For every famous person that dies, countless thousands, if not millions of unknown people die. One day, I'll be one of them....fact. I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about, one of the nicest things on earth is falling asleep, it's just preparation for death, that's all.

I think what everyone really fears is HOW they will die, and WHEN. I have so many better things to do than worry about it!!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
Posted at 14:19 on 8th September 2008
I think that's a healthy attitude Andy.  I think I fear dying before I've had the chance to experience all that I want to do in my life.  A life unfinished frightens me.
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
Posted at 16:42 on 8th September 2008

You're right about falling asleep Andy, it is a nice feeling, whether drifting off when you're tired and in need of it, or having a general anaesthetic for medical purposes, it can be very pleasant, but the prospect of never waking up again from it, that's the scarey part. Never being with your loved ones ever again, never seeing any of the beauty of the world/ universe ever again, not ever.

The fear of how i will die is nothing in comparison to the fear of never seeing anyone or anything ever again, and that's what i believe death will bring.

John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
Posted at 16:43 on 8th September 2008
On 8th September 2008 14:02, Andy Edwards wrote:

... one of the nicest things on earth is falling asleep, it's just preparation for death, that's all.

I wish dying was like gently falling asleep, Andy.

For the lucky few, assisted by morphine, it can be. But for the majority of humanity, it's a miserable, fearful, painful experience - made even more miserable by virtue of the fact that it's the LAST experience.

Jason T
Jason T
Posted at 17:00 on 8th September 2008
Seen many die, i think the end itself is painless in most cases, its the lead up that can be painful and drawn out. Hypoxia just switches us off into a dream land when it gets severe, and sudden cardiac arrest seems to happen instantly!!  It kind of scares me, i'm not so scared of dying, i just don't want to do it for a LONG time yet!!
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
Posted at 17:11 on 8th September 2008
On 8th September 2008 16:42, poe wrote:

You're right about falling asleep Andy, it is a nice feeling, whether drifting off when you're tired and in need of it, or having a general anaesthetic for medical purposes, it can be very pleasant, but the prospect of never waking up again from it, that's the scarey part. Never being with your loved ones ever again, never seeing any of the beauty of the world/ universe ever again, not ever.

The fear of how i will die is nothing in comparison to the fear of never seeing anyone or anything ever again, and that's what i believe death will bring.

I agree with you POE. The idea that my consciousness cease to exist is frightening to me.  There is so much to see and do here, and so many that I love and friends I have yet to meet.  Like the song says "Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to go now"! (And frankly, if heaven is all about drifting about with harps and singing all day I'd rather not do that! I am a creature of the earth and I love it here!)
John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
Posted at 17:30 on 8th September 2008
On 8th September 2008 17:00, Jason Twist wrote:
Seen many die, i think the end itself is painless in most cases, its the lead up that can be painful and drawn out. Hypoxia just switches us off into a dream land when it gets severe, and sudden cardiac arrest seems to happen instantly!!  It kind of scares me, i'm not so scared of dying, i just don't want to do it for a LONG time yet!!

Yes, you're talking about the moment of death, Andy. 

I'm talking about the process of dying - which can take minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or years. I guess it all depends on how we define the term 'dying'. 

As Diana and others have said, one of the more powerful fears revolving around the concept of death is the fear of no longer existing. It's the basis of existentialism.
John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
Posted at 17:44 on 8th September 2008

Oops... sorry. Jason, not Andy.

I blame the fact that you look like brothers! 

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
Posted at 17:47 on 8th September 2008

Just want to say thank you Ruth - I try my best to be a good mom. The loss of your boy and the way you must have felt is unimaginable and when I first read it I shed a tear for you.

I hope both you and Sue G-F understood what I meant by clever and I didn't mean anyone to misunderstand how I meant it. Alot of the people who comment on this thread are very well read on there particular side of the argument. There I'm running off again - John scares me!!!!Wink

John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
Posted at 18:03 on 8th September 2008
On 8th September 2008 17:47, Stephanie Jackson wrote:

There I'm running off again - John scares me!!!!Wink

That's what all the girls say, Stephanie. Story of my life.

I'm a pussycat at heart. Honest.