Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

River Irwell, Salford

Salford

in the county of Greater Manchester

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Back from a bit of a problematic holiday in Cornwall!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 11:50 on 31st August 2008

Hi everyone! There has been alot going on and I will try to catch up on all the threads soon! We have just arrived back from Cornwall exhausted!

The 1st problem to hit us was on Sunday when I didn't feel well so we returned from the beach. I went into the cottage to rest only to have Steve (who lives at the farm) rush in to say my eldest had dislocated his knee on the trampoline. It was a really bad dislocation (his knee cap was around the wrong side and I know how painful that is having done it a few times myself). They had called the ambulance and they had to give him lots of drugs to make the 50 minute journey to Truro (the only A&E hospital in the whole of Cornwall!) where they eventually put the knee back in and he had to have a full plaster from top of the leg to bottom. We were there 6 hours - they were so busy with the Bank Holiday injuries. Luckily we have been going to the cottage for 14 years and are good friends with the owners who kindly looked after the other children. We managed to buy a second hand wheelchair from the small ads so we could still go for our walks.

On Wednesday the other two children nearly drowned at Mousehole. Terry had returned to the car as he had lost his camera, I was pushing the wheelchair and just behind me my 3 year old slipped into a deep pool off the sea down a slippy bank and then my middle son jumped in to save him. Unfortunately in the panic the little one pulled the middle one under the water and in seconds they were in trouble. I had to abandon the eldest in his wheelchair and jump in and save them. It was so scary! I then couldn't lift them out as it was so slippy and to just try to keep them still so I didn't fall. Both myself and my eldest were shouting for help and people were just staring then walking away. Eventually a wonderful man ran down from the cafe and got us out. We were all wet but OK although my 3 year old never wants to go fishing again!

So the week went on - bad weather (except the day we spent in the hospital!), rude staff at the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum, queues all the way home meaning we had to keep getting off the main route because of the pain in my eldest's leg - I don't really feel like we had a holiday. But we did enjoy the bits in between and I hope you will like the photos!!!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 12:27 on 31st August 2008
Sounds like you all need a holiday to get over it!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 12:44 on 31st August 2008

Wow Stephanie!! i thought i had problems in the lakes!!!  He must have dislocated that knee badly?? did he break and bones too?? sounds that way if he had full cast. Nasty.

I bet the weather was worse in the Lakes though!! i've never seen as much rain in my life!!

Anyway, its good to see you back now.Smile

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 13:34 on 31st August 2008
Sorry to hear about your Cornish problems Stephanie. I hope your eldest recovers soon. Just dont come down with a cold from your dip in the sea. Iceing on the cake?
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 13:45 on 31st August 2008
Blimey Stephanie! That's awful. I hope he recovers soon, and well done to your lad for bravely jumping in, and you too!!!!!!! That's a holiday you won't forget in a hurry. Thank goodness there was one man good enough to get in and rescue you all.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:48 on 31st August 2008

Nice to see you back safe and, hopefully sound, stephanie. As Alan said, you'll now need a break to get over it.  Your comment----Both myself and my eldest were shouting for help and people were just staring then walking away.....

What an indictment of some people today. Unbelievable, but there it is. Glad you made it safely back home. Smile

John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
quotePosted at 14:03 on 31st August 2008

I'm sorry to hear about your Cornish catastrophe, Shirley.

Cornwall is lovely when the weather's fine, but I suppose everywhere is miserable in the rain. Your son has my sympathy - I've only got a plaster cast on my arm and that's unpleasant enough. Having your leg in plaster is horrible!

Now you're back at home, make sure you take it easy!

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 14:05 on 31st August 2008

Surprised Stephanie that's awful!  What is your eldest son's name?  I hope he recovers soon.  I was horrified to read that people actually heard you call for help, saw you in need and chose to walk away! Yell Honestly, what is WRONG with people?

Any way, all's well that ends well, but I agree with Alan you must feel you need a vacation to recover from your vacation!

L
L
quotePosted at 14:33 on 31st August 2008
Oh dear, your holiday not exactly go to plan then, have another week off and go somewhere safer lol Seriously though, it must have been a nightmare for you all! Frown
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 17:16 on 31st August 2008

This smiley says it all.  How on earth can people just walk away? Even if they thought it was just kids fooling around, you always go and check. I am disgusted.

And my heart goes out to your oldest lad. A full leg cast  , I can only begin to imagine. How long does he have to keep it on?

As for the rude employees at the museum, I must say that at 49, I am courageous enough now to say something to either them or to their boss. If they don't care to be polite and friendly, they have no reason to be working in that kind of job.

The weather, well, that you have to live with, the other stuff no.

Prayers for your eldest, and also for your other two, that they don't suffer any long term fear of the water.

We're glad you are back Stephanie.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >