Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Tall ship at Charlestown, near St Austell, Cornwall

Charlestown

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should the Government be allowed to determine Fat, Sugar and Salt content in our food?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:44 on 5th January 2013

I seem to remember we did okay at home as kids with lashings of butter, salt and for me three teaspoonfuls of sugar in a cup of tea! Okay so today I don't take any sugar in tea, butter is almost on the back burner in the supermarkets and salt, well I still add salt to my food.

So what's the problem, why can't they keep their nose out of our business. We elect them to do a decent job (funny if it wasn't sick) not to dictate on what we eat. Seems to me they only want to b....y well annoy us all the time, and continually take our cash to give to other Countries when we are struggling ourselves.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:17 on 5th January 2013
Nanny State comes to mind again!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:24 on 5th January 2013

For what it's worth Anna is helping me with a diet so I'll be watching the fat and sugar intake anyway. I decided I wanted to lose some weight and so Anna is 'totally' in charge of my food and liquid intake (including the nectar).

Five days ago I weighed in at 20st 12lbs. We shall see what happens!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:29 on 5th January 2013
Personally never use salt or sugar and only use 'lite' versions of whatever 'butter type' spreads are on offer at the time of shopping. Was 12st 5lb before Xmas now 12-9 so not done too badly over the period, but I suppose not being well did help a bit. Certainly cut the intake of Grouse..... Think my liver is getting a bit worriedWink
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:56 on 5th January 2013
No  salt,fats,biscuits,chocs,very little white bread,this time last year was 15st 2 lbs   now down to 14st 10lbs,but i dont half miss my chips.Wink
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 19:02 on 5th January 2013

Yes, and no on that one Ron...for fast food..yes...because they load it up with salt, sugar and such thngs to make it more addictive to want to eat more. Kids seldom stop at just "one" of anything that they like.  Oils they could stand to watch as to what kinds. What most people don't know is that frutose and such additives in boxed food is no more then an healthy dose of sugar. Sometimes you find it in things you would never suspect sugar to be in. But then again, I thought I was safe drinking diet soda's..nope...they are chalk full of sodium..or salt...I hardly drink them these days....and then they decided to push the fruit juices...there are ususally three peices of natural fruit shoved into a itty bitty glass...full of calories. They say to eat fresh these days....and good advice at that, but let us not forget the GMO crops they are trying to slip in and hormone injected meat, dairy, and eggs. I think th egovernment gets involved because the companies won't do things healthier on their own...it's our own people...esp kids...we are killing off you know. I do disagree with Obama in having to thin an population...I do with childhood obesity though. I see nithing wrong iwth an larger child being 10 pounds higher then many suggested weight charts...esp if the kids are at an age they are still gtowing and developing. Thanks to the modifications of our food...many of us are eating less and still finding it harder to lose weight. Many are cropping up with food allergies also. You almost have to be your own nurtiionalist these days. As to drinking....not more then 8 oz an day and preferably not every day of drinking...once/twice an week is better...depending on your health.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:03 on 5th January 2013

No the Government should not be allowed to interfere with what we eat or drink, if I see another item in the supermarket with "One of your 5 a Day" written on it I think I'm going to scream. Never seen it in Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, the list goes on - we don't need telling what to do all the time, let us get on with life - we know what the final outcome is anyway. 

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 19:05 on 5th January 2013
I have lost almost 4 st in the last 18 months, and the benefits are enormous!  I've not cut out anything completely, just moderation in all things ... even chips sometimes. :)   
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:21 on 5th January 2013

Well done Marjorie, I bet you didn't need the Government to help you either Wink

I don't gain weight because I don't eat much, a very bad case of food poisoning in 2007 managed to put me off food. I only eat because I have too, maybe once a day, and it usually makes me ill anyway. I do like a nice glass of wine though, liquid somehow doesn't make me ill like solids.

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 19:36 on 5th January 2013

Thanks Ruth. I did have a bit of guidance at the start with Weight Watchers, and was lucky enough to have a brilliant leader.

Poor you, I cannot imagine not being able to eat .. I love food! I don't drink alcohol though and I do walk a lot, which probably helped.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >