Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Groombridge Station

Groombridge

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Dismantling of Didcot Power Station

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:48 on 3rd November 2013

In March 2013, Didcot 'A' Power Station was switched off, not because it was broken, but because it did not meet EU Directives on emissions. Now I see it is being dismantled and sold off, with the old  equipment going to Germany for re-use.  See BBC Report here

I am in despair of our policy makers. Why, when we are running short of electricity generation capacity, are we flogging off pefectly good equipment ?

Edited by: Edward Lever at:3rd November 2013 12:02
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:22 on 3rd November 2013

I used to be able to see Didcot Power Station on a clear day froim my childhood home. Ugly building for sure. 

I weep whenever I hear of anything to do with the EU. I thought my Uncles died to keep Eurpoe (or parts of it) out of our hair, and now we bow down to their every whim.  

When I lived in a small Oxfordshire village, there was a family bakery. Been in the family for a couple of hundred years. The aroma of baking bread every morning was a real treat. Then we joined the EU, and suddenly, this bakery wasn't up to standard and it would have cost the family thousands to bring in new equiptment. It closed down. Shameful! 

Smiley others 285.GIF

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 14:40 on 3rd November 2013
Now I would vote OUT if in the UK
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 14:41 on 3rd November 2013

There seem to be mixed opinions as to whether Didcot Power Station is ugly or not. Many people regard it as a comforting landmark in Oxfordshire, although it looks quite sad now that it is not puffing out smoke and steam. Personally, I quite like the view of it from miles around. I might think differently if I lived next door to it ! 

As for EU Directives, I sometimes think we in the UK are the only ones who comply with them. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:07 on 3rd November 2013

Yes, sooner we get out of Europe the better!

And yes, you're right Sue we can see Didcot from the top of Gidley Way exactly as you remember it.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:14 on 3rd November 2013
On 3rd November 2013 14:41, Edward Lever wrote:

There seem to be mixed opinions as to whether Didcot Power Station is ugly or not. Many people regard it as a comforting landmark in Oxfordshire, although it looks quite sad now that it is not puffing out smoke and steam. Personally, I quite like the view of it from miles around. I might think differently if I lived next door to it !  

I never liked the sight of it. A blot on the landscape, but it had its uses.

I hated seeing it when I went up to Whitnam Clumps. All that vast expance of beautiful countryside, and then Didcot power towers.  

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:32 on 3rd November 2013

Yes, Didcot Power Station certainly dominates the view westwards from Wittenham Clumps. If it upsets you, Sue, you can look the other way towards Berinsfield or Dorchester and get a much more rural view.

Although Didcot is ugly, it doesn't ruin a huge area of countryside like wind generators do. These useless monstrosities have sprung up all over the UK, creating an even worse blot on the landscape. I have only heard bad news about wind generators, being costly to install and generally only producing a tiny amount of power. Didcot 'A' generated 2 GW in a  single location, enough power to provide the needs of around 2 million people, more than the whole of Oxfordshire.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:42 on 3rd November 2013

I knew I was spelling Wittenham Clumps wrong. Couldn't be bothered at the time to look it up though.

I hate those wind turbines too. Not good for birds either, has caused many deaths.

Did you see my pictures of Whittenham Clumps, Edward?  

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:05 on 4th November 2013

Didcot Power Station created many jobs for many years and in my opinion should not be reduced to rubble, but hey who are we to argue with those who we voted in?

Lesson learned again!

Question is what will replace it?

Probable answer: More homes for immigrants!

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:51 on 4th November 2013

Didcot 'A' could have continued to operate if 'cleaning up' equipment had been installed. The owners, RWE-npower, presumably thought that the investment was not worthwhile.

The shut down was necessary because Didcot 'A' was an exempted site under the Large Combustion Plant Directive (LCPD) and its allotted hours were spent. The Government could not have over-ridden this decision unless we broke agreements with the EU and the UN (as the UK is a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol on climate change). 

As to the eventual use of the site, the smaller and more efficient Didcot 'B' Power Station (Gas-Fired) will continue to operate, providing up to 1.36 GW. Even so, I shall miss the sight of the plumes of steam and smoke from Didcot 'A'.