'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

house sitting in 2008?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Jenny King
Jenny King
quotePosted at 11:01 on 9th January 2008

Hi, I am now living in Australia and plan to travel to UK to find my parents and my family history.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any good house sitting information out there?  I am going to the Shoreham, Hove and Brighton area. 

regards, Jenny

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 16:08 on 24th January 2008
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:25 on 22nd March 2008

Hi Jenny

Welcome to a great website forum. I totally agree with the comment made by Dennis because not everybody is as friendly, or trustworthy as you might wish them to be! Certainly check out your eventual selection several times over. Ask here in the POE forum for opinions about the area in which you wish to settle initially, and whilst nobody will pinpoint an area as dangerous for a particular reason I suspect, the suggested areas to which you refer Shoreham, Hove and Brighton have, like other areas of England of course (indeed hasn't the world), got what some might describe as their own anti-social problems. Second time....be careful!  

quote | editPosted at 15:45 on 22nd March 2008

Internet arrangements dangerous without precautions. Follow these simple rules will reduce the risk of becoming well known for the wrong reasons.

Rule one, if you can't touch it you can't trust it.

Rule two, never part with money unless it's over the counter in the registered shop. Check the company house website at http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/ for registration details. A recently registered company has no checkable record so walk away. Check the registered company and owner owner with google to see if the person has a dangerous history, or the company is legit.

Rule three, I live in the south eastern area of England, and travel all over it. I will be more than happy to check a place out in that area.

Rule four. Every internet arranged meeting has to be in a railway station because we've swamped them all in security cameras, and the railway station should be a main manned. We have a fine selection at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Rule five, check out wether you want to be in a perticular area after dark at http://www.upmystreet.com/

Rule six. Only give out a mobile phone number. Your house number will have an area code. A mobile doesn't, and the sim card can be dumped. If their number is a mobile then they are dangerous.

Rule seven,  Never give out details that can be tracked back to you.

England is one of the safest places on the planet, the internet is the most dangerous. In both cases though being scared or unsure is an excellent reason not to go, being brave is an excellent reason not to be seen of again. Take someone with you.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

How do I avoid becoming the victim of online fraud?

It is well-known that criminals target website users with many versions of several familiar scams to try and gain money by deception. Unfortunately MindMyHouse is not immune from such activity.

It has come to our attention that several unscrupulous individuals (if I could get my hands on them!) have been making bogus offers of house sitting assignments to some of our members in an attempt to gain money by deception. While there are many variations on these scams, they all have one strikingly similar element: these people will be asking you to send money. DON'T DO IT!

The good news is that you cannot become the victim of online fraud through your MindMyHouse membership unless you post your money away yourself.

Two popular scams include being asked to cash cheques on someone's behalf (for a percentage of their supposed value) and then post the criminal the remaining cash by Western Union. The second is being asked to send money to a bogus travel agent (also by Western Union). Please use your common sense when responding to emails you receive through your MindMyHouse membership. Any request to send money via a money transfer facility such as Western Union will be fraudulent.

Please forward any suspicious emails to us and we will deal with the sender accordingly. If in doubt please ask! We will not tolerate this kind of inappropriate use of our site and will do our utmost to protect our members from receiving these kinds of emails. We are fully committed to ensuring that your use of MindMyHouse is pleasant and productive for you. We have methods in place to track and trace these rogues and are able to block them from re-registering with us under other pseudonyms. But some still get through.

Please note that it remains perfectly legitimate for a home owner to request that a house sitter pay them a security deposit before leaving their home in their care. This process should be negotiated face-to-face by both parties just before the home owner leaves their property and a receipt for the deposit should be signed by all parties.

You can view our House Sitting Agreement at the following link: http://www.mindmyhouse.com/advice/privacy_policy.php
If we work together we can ensure that your use of our website is safe. With some insight and common sense we can relegate these would-be tricksters into the trash bin in your email browser where they belong!

For expert advice about safer surfing and avoiding common internet scams, see the UK government sponsored website 'Get Safe Online' at http://www.getsafeonline.org.

Source
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:23 on 24th February 2009
this is good advice but do take care, not all animals live in a jungle. hey, I'd be scared to visit oz, all those snakes an spiders lol. Good luck.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:25 on 24th February 2009
just realised, this was posted 12 months ago, how did you get on?
Jenny King
Jenny King
quotePosted at 11:07 on 25th February 2009

Hello there, guess what? I haven't been yet!  I am still here in Australia working away and toiling in my garden.  I still ache to go and will go. I put in an above ground pool and sunk it into the slope out the back deck.  It was a mammoth job and it turned out to be sucking my bank account a bit so the trip kind of got put in the back shelf.  we have had some stinkers of hot days and I am in the hills where it gets really humid so I just got sick of it and found a second hand pool and went and bought the darn thing.  Little did I know how much work was involved but it's lovely now.

I read the posts about being careful and would never hand my hard earned money over without checking first who is going to get it.  but thanks for the advice.

JennyCool

Xxxx Xxxx
Xxxx Xxxx
quotePosted at 16:46 on 6th April 2009

Hi Jenny...another way to get around the country and do research is volunteering through WWOOF...Willing Workers on Organic Farms...  you spend a few hours each day working in agriculture.. animal husbandry..herbal preparations.....lots of choices !! in exchange for food and shelter....usually a room in the house with the family or a caravan..great way to meet folk...woofing is possible in many countries.. Canada, UK, Italy.. New Zealand.. and more ~google the main site for UK.. you pay a small fee,( $40.) send in your application  and receive a booklet with all the registered organic farm holdings, usually very cool people.  Also, do you belong to the International Hostelling Association? Reputable havens for backpackers...also you could offer to work off a week's stay by doing a few hours housekeeping in the mornings.

Australia! fabulous.. I loved staying there..took my 5 year old son on walkabout...great adventures...memories.. sigh!

Happy Trails...and travel light! Let me know how you get on..happy to talk more anytime....

Anna

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 16:53 on 6th April 2009
Oh I would LOVE to do something like that Anna!!!!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 17:03 on 6th April 2009
On 6th April 2009 16:53, Krissy wrote:
Oh I would LOVE to do something like that Anna!!!!

Hey i got some organic veg that needs washing before i use it!  and cass needs to be walked!! I've got an old campervan you can stay in!!!Laughing