Largs

in the county of North Ayrshire

St Ives Harbour

St Ives

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

A Snoozing Pheasant, firwood, Wooler, Northumberland

Wooler

in the county of Northumberland

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Nervous American needs guidance!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 18:17 on 30th December 2010
Thanks Ron!!!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 23:50 on 31st December 2010
Krissy, are you coming this way ?? If so....when, where ??? Will wait to hear your response.
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 01:15 on 1st January 2011
I am hoping end of March. It's not set in stone, my trip, but I will do everything it takes to get there. Need to have enough  $$$!! Will find out in Feb is I will. Keep fingers crossed. This needs to happen!!
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 19:31 on 5th January 2011
On 25th July 2009 14:54, Sue wrote:

And be careful when crossing the road on foot. In London it will tell you which way to look in BIG LETTERS, but I've not seen that elsewhere. 

So right, Sue!  I found myself regularly looking in the wrong direction!
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 20:42 on 5th January 2011
Just get into the habit of automatically looking both ways at every stop--start doing that now for those of you planning your first trip the the UK. And remember that you are in much more danger crossing the roads there as a pedestrian than while you are in a car. The driver's position in the car usually acts as a bit of a reminder to look to the right first, but as a pedestrian, you lose that reminder. I had an acquaintance who went over to the UK many years ago who was killed by a bus in London on her first day there--she looked left instead of right and walked out in front of the bus. I'm not trying to frighten anyone, but just to recommend taking special care while walking.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:45 on 6th January 2011
I know how you feel Rob, in 1979 a group of us went down to St Tropez in the South of France for an holiday (vacation). On the second day an 18 tear old member of our party had, with others been to a bowling alley, when coming out he looked left whilst attempting to cross a busy road, he should of course have looked right first and was hit by a passing car.He survived his injuries after weeks in hospital there but, being a typical care-free teenager he hadnt taken out travel insurance and the French hospital wouldnt release him until he paid the bill (Unlike the 'free' NHS in the UK). His pals, local Pubs and family back home raised the money through charity events and he eventualy got home.  It shows we have the same problems (in reverse) when we travel abroad.  He also had a massive repair bill to pay for the damage he did to the car that struck him.
norajean
norajean
quotePosted at 22:22 on 25th January 2011

I have a co-worker from Ireland who has lived here many years who tells me that she had to really concentrate when she first learned to drive here.  Now when she goes back home yearly, she finds herself needing to concentrate again.  She told me not to do anything automatically, to stop and think before you make any turns and pay attention to what you are doing.  If you just turn onto a road automatically like you are used to doing here at home without thinking about it, you will end up on the wrong side (apparently she did that a time or two when she first came to the US!)

I'm still thinking of renting a car for a day trip out of York, it's a little scary, but I'm pretty brave! LOL!

Nora 

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 12:11 on 26th January 2011
On 1st January 2011 01:15, Krissy wrote:
I am hoping end of March. It's not set in stone, my trip, but I will do everything it takes to get there. Need to have enough  $$$!! Will find out in Feb is I will. Keep fingers crossed. This needs to happen!!

Think positive thoughts, Krissy. It will happen!

Also, I lived in Australia for a few months and had to learn to drive on the left side of the street (in a car with a manual transmission mind you). I was surprised at how quickly I picked it up. It's easier than you think, just stay with the flow of traffic and follow the other drivers. You'll do fine.

It only got confusing for me when I was driving in places where there wasn't much traffic and then suddenly I'd realize, OMG! I am on the wrong side of the road! Lol.

norajean
norajean
quotePosted at 04:19 on 28th January 2011
Krissy, we're going at the end of March, too.  March 26 through April 3.  Maybe we'll run into you! Wink
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 05:54 on 28th January 2011

Krissy & Nora....just a suggestion to you both....I learned that my best source of info re: visiting UK was from American Embassy in London and even if you don't wish to contact them re: your trip plans etc, I would definitely make it part of the 'game plan' to get the info about the Embassy, i.e.  location, phone numbers, access if you need it etc etc.....but they may also be the ones to give you info on your travel plans etc. They have been quite helpful to us in the past. I always suggest to americans to check out the info on the embassy before coming here. This is not meant to scare or alarm you, but to better prepare you before arriving here...so IF you should find you need help...THEY are the ones to help you, and they will even answer simple questions for you . They will tell you what they can and can't do for you.....but get their phone numbers and keep them with you ...even in the event you never need them.

Am looking forward to your arrivals....hope you have a great time and you can email me for info if you wish   beth_austin2 (at) hotmail.co.uk  

Any questions....ask.

Edited by: cathyml at:28th January 2011 06:50