'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Swanage, Dorset

Swanage

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A long winding road in Lower Heswall, the area has remained unchanged for around 100 years.

Heswall

in the county of Merseyside

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Nervous American needs guidance!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peggy Pidgeon
Peggy Pidgeon
quotePosted at 15:27 on 24th July 2009

Hello Everyone; 

After flying into Heathrow, my sisters and I will be traveling to Long Buckby in October for a geneology related meeting.  We will attend the meeting over a weekend then hope to

travel to Matlock and around England then we will return the hired car and visit London for the last two days.  Our immediate concern is a nice place to stay near Long Buckby

for our first three nights.  My second concern (the reason I am nervous) is driving on the left side of the road.  Anyone have any pointers to make it a bit easier for three middle aged American ladies not

to terroirze the locals once we are behind the wheel? 

Many thanks, Peg

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:02 on 24th July 2009

Hi Peggy, well first of all go to the following link where you will be able to book your accommodation through Pictures Of England.com thus helping to support the site and you get your accommodation cheaper than by going direct to the hotels. Save £££££'s believe me. Here is the link:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Northamptonshire/Long_Buckby/hotels .    

There are lots to choose from!!

As for driving, just keep it nice and slow and the locals will recognize you as visitors. As for our roundabouts, treat them as a clock face as you approach ie quarter to twelve, twelve o'clock and quarter past twelve. Want to turn left (quarter to twelve) stay in the left lane, want to go straight over (Twelve o'clock) stay in the middle lane, want to turn right (quarter past twelve) get into the right hand lane. If there are only two lanes as you approach stay in the left lane for quarter to twelve and twelve o'clock. Want to turn right get in the right hand lane (quarter past twelve). There, simple!! Good luck anyway.

Peggy Pidgeon
Peggy Pidgeon
quotePosted at 16:55 on 24th July 2009

Ron,

Thank you for the driving hints.  I will be sure to pass the information on to my driving companions.

We are also continuing to peruse the web site for possible accommodations.

Not so nervous now,

Peg 

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 17:01 on 24th July 2009
Hi Peggy, that's like a sort of initiation for us tourists, lol :). I have no real technical tip to give you but I can tell you that everything came unexpectedly very natural after a couple of hours driving only. Just keep you concentration high for the first one or two days because automatisms tend to get back on occasions.
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 17:04 on 24th July 2009
Peggy, don't forget to yield to cars already in the roundabout as they have the right of way.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:54 on 24th July 2009

all good advice peg! just remember to keep you left hand passenger close to the left pavement (sidewalk) it comes easy but pay attention to motorway slip roads. There have been a number of fatalities lately of foriegn drivers, (usualy East Europeans) driving the wrong way along the motorway (Freeway).

Take care and enjoy your visit, I note you will visit in October, It is the start of our winter season, daylight will start to fail about 4pm (1600 hours) and wet fallen leaves will be around. if you are still here at the start of November, the weekend of the 11th, lots going on in london with ref to our 'poppy-day', Rememberance Sunday, good chance to see royalty in Whitehall.

Peggy Pidgeon
Peggy Pidgeon
quotePosted at 19:32 on 24th July 2009

Hello again and thank you for all of the thoughtful responses.

I have also googled  "Driving in England" which has resulted in quite a bit of  information also.

I am looking forward to visiting in October.  I don't want to gush, but I am a bit of an anglophile.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:54 on 25th July 2009

And be careful when crossing the road on foot. In London it will tell you which way to look in BIG LETTERS, but I've not seen that elsewhere. 

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 01:11 on 27th July 2009

Hi Peggy:  It takes a bit of concentration, but after a while you feel like you're getting used to driving over there.  The only thing is - you need to continue to concentrate.  If you don't, you may find yourself just doing what you normally do, automatically.  For instance, if you're pulling out of somewhere to get on the road and you'r turning right,  look both ways and make sure you get to the correct side of the road.  It was pulling out onto a road that I had to stop and think for a minute.  Good luck!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:06 on 30th December 2010
Brought this back to life just for Krissy but will answer in current thread also.