'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Southbourne beach, Dorset

Southbourne

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Howdy from Texas!!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Andrea Slough-kubsch
Andrea Slough-kubsch
quotePosted at 07:43 on 13th January 2008
Hello everyone!.  My name is Andrea Slough Kubsch.  I've loved anything British since the Beatles came to the states when I was 10.  I always thought my maiden name was German (Slough).  My mom broke her wrist and when we were in the ER waiting room I introduced my dad to an Irish priest. "Father Tom this is my dad David Slough"  "What a fine old English name!"  I said "English?"  My dad said "yeah, why?"  "I thought it was German", "Well, who told you that?"  That's how I found out about my English heritage.  My cousin has done a lot of research and has graced our family to the Slough and Berkshire area back to 1516.  I have an email buddy I met online in Bude, Cornwall.  We've been emailing about 5 years and someday I'm going to surprise her and show up on her doorstep.  I call her on the phone every Christmas day.  Her son married a girl from Washington State and she told me this Christmas that she and I don't sound anything alike.  I told her no one sounds like a Texan.  ha ha  Anyway, I've bent your ears enough.  I am looking forward to exploring this site.  I am a true anglophile.  In fact my master's thesis is on Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II.  Looking forward to reading all your posts too, and learning from them.  Ya'll have a good day!!!  ANdrea
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:15 on 10th March 2008

Andrea

The fact is that most Americans know more about the history of the UK than those who live here! But, if they (the Brits) were to look around this fantastic website they would learn an awful lot about their own country. Try the History pages!

Can't believe you have not received the big 'Welcome' Andrea, so this is it....c'mon POE members how about a welcome for Andrea?

L
L
quotePosted at 14:44 on 18th March 2008
Well Howdy there Andrea...WELCOME! (ok Ron?)
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:59 on 18th March 2008

Andrea.

I wonder if you pronounce Slough the way we do in England. I know that visitors to the country tend to have trouble pronouncing it.

Any way, I hope you get to check on the forums to see your belated welcome.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:38 on 18th March 2008

Andrea

You are now beginning to see what you have let yourself in for haven't you? I am sure we must all sit in front of the pc with a broad smile on our face as we press the 'post' button hoping to conjure up a smile the other end. It's a great site, a fun site with plenty of good pics, history, guestbook messages to die for, hotels to book online, maps....yawn....and an unbelieveable resource for all members of the family. Fantastic!!

And doesn't the following just confirm what I have said elsewhere on the site: Andrea writes: "In fact my master's thesis is on Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II" I said the American people know more about our history than we do! Well done Andrea!!

quote | editPosted at 15:54 on 18th March 2008
WELCOME Andrea!..sorry for the delay in hospitality. This is a great site....enjoy!Smile
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:16 on 18th March 2008
Come now Ron, I have a whole room full of books on English history, especially Plantagenet history.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:23 on 18th March 2008
Yeah but you're a Brit 'gone wrong'...defected if you like, so that makes you American!!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:49 on 18th March 2008

I am NOT an American! (No offence to Americans, having a husband and two sons who are, I love you all) but I am English through to the very core.

Defected, humph! Taken out of England kicking and screaming all the way.

AND, and, I've read C.S. Lewis, Narnia, Screwtape Letters and some of his A year with C.S. Lewis. So there

!

Yes, Englsh, that's me. Well read, well rounded (as you csan see).

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 17:38 on 18th March 2008
Hi Andrea, welcome to the site. Take no notice of them, they are English. The English always fight amongst themselvs, I on the other hand am Welsh. We just fight the English. By the way, where is America? lol