Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Iron Bridge with poppies

Ironbridge

in the county of Shropshire

Bishop's Waltham Palace Ruins

Bishop's Waltham

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Deborah from Texas

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

Deborah Williamson
Deborah Williamson
quotePosted at 20:21 on 8th April 2008
I "accidentally" found this great site and am looking forward to enjoying all the information.  I recently received a grant to travel to the UK to study birthplaces and other sites associated with some "classic" writers.  I've only been once before, when I stayed in London for a week, so I'm VERY excited about this broader trip.  I teach American and British literature, so this is a dream trip for me.  If anyone has any suggestions or favorite not-to-be-missed places, I'd love to hear about them.  I've read many of your posts and have enjoyed your comments.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 20:34 on 8th April 2008

Hi Deborah and welcome to POE - The Lake District is a great place to start.  Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter resided up here amongst others, and beautiful scenery as well.  You can't go wrong.Laughing

Enjoy yourself

Karen

L
L
quotePosted at 20:34 on 8th April 2008

Hi Deborah, welcome to this forum and to POE, thats good to hear you'll be visiting us, i'm sure you will be getting many tips on where to visit.Join in with the fun on here and enjoy the many thousands of photots, it will probably take you months to look at them all lol 

I GOT IN FIRST!! LOL NA NA NA NA NAAAAA Tongue out

L
L
quotePosted at 20:35 on 8th April 2008
Thats not fair, Karens post got through before mine lol
Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 20:38 on 8th April 2008
Sorry about that Lyn, I think I was just luckyCool
Roses
Roses
quotePosted at 20:43 on 8th April 2008
Hello and Welcome Deborah!  CONGRATULATIONS on getting the grant!  Do you no what area you will be going to?
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:57 on 8th April 2008

Typing fast here, trying to beat Ron and Peter.

Hello Deborah. You must go to Oxford, home of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Our dearest Ron, who you will meet here shortly, gives a C.S. Lewis guided tour.

Hope you enjoy it here on the forum.

Deborah Williamson
Deborah Williamson
quotePosted at 22:35 on 8th April 2008

Thank you all for the warm welcome - I was looking forward to hearing from you, and I wasn't disappointed. 

My hope is that I will be able to travel throughout England by rail and bus - I've known of several people that really enjoyed doing that.  I especially want to visit Bath (and other Jane Austen locales), Oxford (great fan of Lewis and Tolkien) and surrounds, the Lake District (we spend several weeks in my British literature course on the Romantics, and Beatrix Potter is a favorite), York, the Cotswolds.  I'd like to include Edinburgh and part of Wales.  Many other locations connected with beloved writers are on my wish list, but I'll just see how it goes.  Mine will definitely be a flexible journey.

I don't know if it's possible to fit all of that in 3-4 weeks - it may be a case of my travel apetite exceeding my time.  There is SO much I want to see, but I don't want to rush through these wonderful places.  When I visited London a few years ago, I felt that I was "coming home" - I've never had that feeling before, so I've wanted to go back so badly, and I'm so grateful for this incredible opportunity.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 22:36 on 8th April 2008

Hi Deborah, welcome to the POE site.Try looking at the photo's not the PHOTOTS that Lyn sugested. I couldnt find them. lol

We all have our favourite places here, so the best advice would be to see the photo's and decide what you think is best. I come from Wales, so I would advise there. We have famous people born in almost every county in the UK, so I hope you will be here for a long time. You will need it.

Congratulations on your grant, and I hope you enjoy your stay here.

quote | editPosted at 22:47 on 8th April 2008
Hi Deborah and a very warm welcome to POE....if you have time call in at Howarth in North Yorkshire and visit the home of the Bronte sisters...the house is pretty much the same as it was when they lived there. All their writing material is on display too.
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >