Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Pantiles at Royal Tunbridge Wells

Tunbridge Wells

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Deborah from Texas

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Deborah Williamson
Deborah Williamson
quotePosted at 02:17 on 11th April 2008
Peter and Lyn:

The names of the counties that I think my dad's family was from may be old names - my records are a bit unclear.   I think they may have been from Radnorshire or Merionethshire - the name is Preece.  I think there were a couple of spellings back in the 1700's, so, again, everything's a bit cloudy.  I do think there's a Welsh tartan for the Preeces.  That's one thing my son's asked me to look for while I'm there. 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:18 on 11th April 2008

Deborah,  if you go to Chawton in Hampshire, you can tour Jane Austen's house which is pretty much today, as it was in her time with many items relating to her to see.  Then, not too far away from there at Winchester Cathedral---well worth a visit in it's own right----you'll find her grave in the north side of the cathedral Pictures of both places you might have already found on the site, but if not, they're certainly there to see.

L
L
quotePosted at 07:21 on 11th April 2008

Deborah....Merionithshire I've heard of but sorry not Radnorshire, maybe Peter will let you know. I wasn't born in Wales, I just visited it as my Dad was from there.

I dont know if you plan to come anywhere near where I live, or if you have heard of John Bunyan....Pilgrim's Progress?.....he was born in Elstow near Bedford and there's also Moot Hall there. I've found a couple of links below in case you're interested: 

www.bedford.gov.uk/Default.aspx/Web/ElstowMootHall

http://bible.christiansunite.com/bunindex.shtml

Deborah Williamson
Deborah Williamson
quotePosted at 11:25 on 11th April 2008
Lyn:  Thanks for the information on John Bunyan - I'll definitely add those two locations to my list.  Bunyan is an author we discuss in my course, and he's also one I like.

Paul - Jane Austen's Chawton and a couple of her other locales are high on my list - we study Pride & Prejudice in my class - and she's a favorite of mine.  Thank you for the Winchester reminder - I don't think I have that on my list, and I surely want to include that.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:42 on 11th April 2008
On 11th April 2008 02:17, Deborah Williamson wrote:
Peter and Lyn:

The names of the counties that I think my dad's family was from may be old names - my records are a bit unclear.   I think they may have been from Radnorshire or Merionethshire - the name is Preece.  I think there were a couple of spellings back in the 1700's, so, again, everything's a bit cloudy.  I do think there's a Welsh tartan for the Preeces.  That's one thing my son's asked me to look for while I'm there. 

Yes, they both still exist Deborah. And there are welsh tartans too, not a lot of people know that. lol.
Hey lyn, we could be related. lol
L
L
quotePosted at 12:17 on 11th April 2008
On 11th April 2008 11:42, Peter Evans wrote:

Hey lyn, we could be related. lol

Funny you should say that Peter, guess what my maiden name was!
L
L
quotePosted at 12:26 on 11th April 2008
Deb, no problem, gald to be of some kind of help. There's a museum about Glenn Miller,  I think its in Milton Ernest near to Twinwood Airfield not far from Bedford dedicated to him, he took his last flight from there never to be seen again after playing his last performance in the Corn Exchange in Bedford.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 12:40 on 11th April 2008
So Lyn, we have something in common, appart from good looks. rolol
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:46 on 11th April 2008
Hello Deb and WELCOME to the best website and forum on the net although it seems you have already established that. It rather looks like I have missed you, until now that is, for which I apologise. Of course it might be said that without 'that Ron' its been a quiet and sensible thread and so I guess I will have to go back and see what you are all talking about, but from just this page I can see that what I do will obviously interest you. I operate C. S. Lewis Tours here in Oxford see www.cslewistours.com and look forward to answering any questions that you may have. NB: Don't be fooled by that Peter, he's a wolf in sheeps clothing....honest! 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:01 on 11th April 2008
Well Deb, how about that a C S Lewis fan - I met the great man as a ten year old boy). Anyway all the right names/places mentioned thats for sure, and you know thats whats nice about this forum because you really have been given some good advice/information by the members. There are of course times when the thread just evaporates into sheer abandon, probably more so when 'that Ron' gets involved. Everybody seems to have it in for me, can't understand it really!