'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hallaton village centre, Leicestershire.

Hallaton

in the county of Leicestershire

Cow and Calf, Ilkley.

Ilkley

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your favourite places in England.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:20 on 6th May 2009

Perhaps I should explain the reason for the edit above. All members will know that business and/or website promotion via www.picturesofengland.com attracts a fee, which can be discussed with Chris and Sarah at uk2@picturesofengland.com

New member Barnabus above, asks a question that in fact was not relevant to his post that followed. As moderator, I therefore edited out the text which I felt was inappropriate without a fee being paid to POE.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Gill Deadman
Gill Deadman
quotePosted at 21:17 on 12th August 2009
On 5th November 2007 13:33, poe wrote:

Please list your favourite places in England.
(edit: this thread developed quickly into favourite 'places' rather than 'things', so have changed original post to suit)

Here are some of mine:

The Lake District for its spectacular scenery - See pics
The New Forest for its enchanting beauty of ancient twisting trees, open heath, and wandering animals owned by the 'commoners'. - See pics
The Cotswolds for its gorgeous countryside, quaint little villages and picture perfect cottages.

A favourite town is the historic market town of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, which has lots of medieval buildings, medieval alleyways, and a fantastic Norman abbey. The best time to visit Tewkesbury is in July when they hold the annual re-enactment of The Battle of Tewkesbury.

Where to start? The whole country is beautiful! But I would have to say the Lake District, closely followed by Exmoor in Somerset.not Devon, near which I live. I never tire of the views in all seasons. Smile
norajean
norajean
quotePosted at 18:46 on 13th August 2009

Here's a stupid question from an American, who's obviously never been to England.  I've always heard about the New Forest...is or was there an Old Forest??

From all pictures I've seen, I think I'd love The Cotswolds, with all those little villages and cottages, which are like every  English village that you've seen in a movie or story.

And, Yorkshire, and especially the Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay area.  (Found a pub for sale in Whitby, The Fleece.  Maybe I should sell everything and buy a pub!!)

John Bowley
John Bowley
quotePosted at 19:23 on 13th August 2009

As far as I am aware Norajean  it is called the new forest because my old mate William the Conqueror called it the ' Nova Foresta' (his new hunting ground) in 1079 which was an awful long time ago.

The Cotswolds is a lovely area. If I get my foot down I can be there in 40 minutes!

When I was but a lad I did quite a bit of walking. A famous walk over here is the Lyke Wake walk. You start from the middle of the Yorkshire moors and end up at Robin Hoods Bay. Its 40 miles overall but a very hard 40 miles, over peat bogs. If you complete it within 24 hours you become a member of the Lyke Wake club and receive a badge in the shape of a little coffin. If I did it now I reckon  I would end up in a big coffin!,   

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 19:31 on 13th August 2009

i know how you feel john.lol

The penine 'way' is another walk worth a mention.

(By the way Norajean dont try starting johns Lyke Wake walk from the Cotswolds, its a couple of hundred miles north of there lol)  

norajean
norajean
quotePosted at 03:31 on 14th August 2009

I can't imagine walking 40 miles!  not even in 4 days, let alone one!!

And John, thank you for the explanation about the New Forest.  It's not so new, is it??

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:35 on 14th August 2009

Just been looking through this thread and I can't see that I have ever posted on it which is strange. Made me feel terribly nostalgic looking through though - so many missing friends and the banter that our Lyn used to have with everyone, God bless her.

It is difiicult to pinpoint a favourite place so maybe that's why I never posted. My favourite place in Wales is easier - Pembrokeshire - St Brides Bay and St Davids.

Think that the bottom tip of Cornwall is one of my favourite places - around Marazion. Salcombe in South Devon. Around my home area Haden Hill park near Halesowen - which is why I hope to move just by there. Castlemorton Common at the foot of Malvern. Ribbesford near Bewdley. Great Witley.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:56 on 14th August 2009
On 11th February 2008 18:48, Jen Strath wrote:
On 21st November 2007 05:24, Lawrence Davis wrote:

My Great Grandparents on both sides came out to Australia in the 1800's, including my G.G.Grandfather who was exported to Tasmania as a convict for stealing Mrs Worthingtons goose. So whenever I get a chance to go to the UK for a holiday, the one thing I look forward to, is feeling / smelling / and standing on British soil. Because to me, I am returning home, even though I am a 4th generation Australian.

I am now doing my homework for my 4th trip back, so if I have to name a favourite above everything, then I would put anywhere in Yorkshire... ( especially York ).   Next I would put Herefordshire, especially Ludlow.   And then there is Wales and Scotland. But they are another story.

England, I miss you. Cry

Laurence that is exactly how I feel!

My GGG grandfather was convicted for stealing 2 whethers (male sheep) and sentenced to hang which was commuted to transportation to Tasmania, in 1826. On the other side my GG grandparents came out here during the gold rush and when they didn't make any money they then pioneered an area to the east of Melbourne. Part of the original farm is still in the family today.....but England is home.

To date my fave places are both in Hampshire, the tiny hamlet of Itchen Stoke and the town of New Alresford.

you still out there jen?
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 15:03 on 14th August 2009
On 14th August 2009 11:56, michael gerrard wrote:
On 11th February 2008 18:48, Jen Strath wrote:
On 21st November 2007 05:24, Lawrence Davis wrote:

My Great Grandparents on both sides came out to Australia in the 1800's, including my G.G.Grandfather who was exported to Tasmania as a convict for stealing Mrs Worthingtons goose. So whenever I get a chance to go to the UK for a holiday, the one thing I look forward to, is feeling / smelling / and standing on British soil. Because to me, I am returning home, even though I am a 4th generation Australian.

I am now doing my homework for my 4th trip back, so if I have to name a favourite above everything, then I would put anywhere in Yorkshire... ( especially York ).   Next I would put Herefordshire, especially Ludlow.   And then there is Wales and Scotland. But they are another story.

England, I miss you. Cry

Laurence that is exactly how I feel!

My GGG grandfather was convicted for stealing 2 whethers (male sheep) and sentenced to hang which was commuted to transportation to Tasmania, in 1826. On the other side my GG grandparents came out here during the gold rush and when they didn't make any money they then pioneered an area to the east of Melbourne. Part of the original farm is still in the family today.....but England is home.

To date my fave places are both in Hampshire, the tiny hamlet of Itchen Stoke and the town of New Alresford.

you still out there jen?

Hi Michael...YES, I'm out here...lol :-)

And my favouraite places have been added to:

Ludlow and the surrounding area.
Preston, nr Hitchin....homeground for the Fairey's/Fary's.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 16:49 on 14th August 2009
Hi Jen, good to hear from you again!!