Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Salthouse Church 2002

Salthouse

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cameron mocks the disabled

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:10 on 16th April 2012

Yes, I agree with what you say James.

And Edward as for the copied material, it has to be that way in order not to get into copyright issues. Thanks for understanding.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:56 on 17th April 2012

Thank you, Ron. I thought the report from Lord Sterling, the Chairman of Motability, makes interesting reading. I should thank Mick Smith for making me check the facts as to the use of prestige cars by Motability customers. According to the report, only 5% of customers (i.e 30,000 people) have made use of an advance payment exceeding £2000, enabling them to lease cars of a similar or greater luxury than a BMW SUV for a relatively small upfront payment. It is up to the reader to decide whether 30,000 is an excessive number of people to be driving around in these luxury cars, largely funded by the taxpayer. Clearly, Motability are worried about the adverse publicity this causes, because the advance payment has now been capped at £2000 and many of the huge 'Chelsea Tractors' have been taken off the Motability list. 

The same report says that the price of the average Motability car is £19,500. As an able-bodied taxpaying pensioner, I am running a 13 year old car worth less than £200. As Mick Smith would I'm sure agree, I would not change my health (thank the Lord) for the use of a Motability car. I also share James's views, that for all the many deserving Motability customers, most of us know of at least one who is taking  the taxpayer 'for a ride'.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:17th April 2012 10:16
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 03:28 on 24th April 2012
In USA there are no vehicles for the disabled which accommodate us.  Only the wealthy can afford them.
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 14:29 on 24th April 2012
I am surprised at that Linda so how are the disabled expected to travel especially if they are unable to drive themselves nor have a relative or friend to take them, what about when you have appointments?
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:55 on 25th April 2012
The reality is that in the United States you have to take care of yourself. No wonder the rest of the world is flocking to the UK.
Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 21:46 on 13th April 2013

Well, a lively and interesting exchange of views. Unfortunately it is easy to sit on the sidelines and say "The Tories did this" or "Labour did that". However, no one actually knows for sure what goes on in parliament other than what the rather biased media reports tell us.

It doesn't matter who you support or agree with, the facts remain that this country needs some serious overhauling in many different sectors, the deficiencies in which have been brought on by successive governments failing miserably to manage anything other than their own image.

Most of the problems that could be fixed are held in thrall to overpaid and untouchable civil servants (I use the word servant loosely!). Not one administration has managed to penetrate the mandarins ruling this cadre of supposed public services. There is far to much of the old boy network, the union hardness and the entrenched unchangeable attitudes in public office. 

What Cameron is trying to do is admirable. But he hasn't a clue and is making knee jerk moves in response to criticism which in turn makes him look right a right nasty idiot punishing the needy and poor. But until someone tells me how we can stop people who are not entitled to help, who are milking the system and sponging off those of us who are working effectively, then bitching about one party or another is a pointless exercise and simply serves the real people who are in power, more power on a plate.

Margaret Thatcher did a lot of things to upset people, but in a lot of cases she was right, and no amount of bluster changes that. Tony Blair and his cronies also did things that were right but like many other governments, did a lot wrong.

Voting UKIP might give both major parties a bloody nose, but can they do any better? What is their policy on the NHS, the railways, getting industry kickstarted, looking after the elderly etc etc?

This country needs a good stiff kicking. It is a mess and will continue to be so until such time as everyone recognises that it doesn't matter who got us into this mess, unless we start to actually work together then we will never get out of it.

There, I've entered a political discussion despite my own misgivings. I hope you are satisfied!!!

Andy

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:00 on 13th April 2013
Nice to see you on AndySmile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:12 on 13th April 2013

I have to agree with you Andy!  

The Australians take a hard line on emigration and have largely contained all sorts of spongers and lay abouts from entering the country.  It also reduces the racial tensions and traumas being experienced all over Europe at the moment.

When so many people are out of work how can they let anyone and everyone into the country regardless of whether they can find a job or even speak the language.

It is time to take care of your own!

Yep!  Now I have also voiced an opinion for what it is worth! 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:04 on 14th April 2013
With regard to Cathy's post,  the UK is currently bound by EU rules on immigration. While we are in the grip of the EU, we are powerless to determine policy on anything, despite Cameron's attempt to forge an alliance with Angela Merkel (another 'Iron Lady'). Our own 'Iron Lady' took on Brussels in 1984 when she successfully reduced our subsidy to continental farmers, only for it to be partly reversed by Blair in 2005.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:42 on 14th April 2013

Thanks Edward!  

I wonder why Britain felt they had to subsidize EU farmers when so many British farmers have had to stop farming and after trucks were burned in France if they contained British produce! Hmmmm!  It is a crazy world we live in! 

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6