Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bridgend looking towards Garw valley

Bridgend

in the county of Bridgend

Swanage Dorset

Swanage

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Animal Pictures

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
Posted at 15:21 on 14th September 2009

Oxfordshire. Outside the a little village, in the countryside. 

They have even bigger dear up there now. Wish I were still there. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
Posted at 17:17 on 14th September 2009
On 14th September 2009 15:21, Sue wrote:

Oxfordshire. Outside the a little village, in the countryside. 

They have even bigger dear up there now. Wish I were still there. 

We have an endless supply of deer in Central Michigan--two different groups of deer cruise through my yard several times a day--not to mention the wild turkeys! My understanding is that in Michigan alone there are over 60,000 deer-car collisions per year--in fact we are the second worst state for deer-car collisions in the U.S., right behind Pennsylvania. I live 8 miles from the university where I work and deer cross in front of me every day coming and going--evening driving is particularly nerve-wracking because thats when they are most active. I've never hit a deer yet,but I've had some mighty close calls. Conventional wisdom here is that if a deer darts out in front of your car, you are better off hitting it head on than trying to swerve around it (a hard thing not to do) because chances are that there is another deer right behind it, plus you have less of a chance of losing control of the car. Even when we lived in town, we often had between 4 to 8 deer lying down in our yard every night--it got to be such a regular occurrence that when we let our dog Gracie out just before bed, she and those deer mutually ignored each other once they had their initial indignant snort back and forth! 

That being said, I have to say that I really love seeing them, especially when we are sitting on the back deck in the evening with a nice glass of cold wine!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:14th September 2009 17:23
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
Posted at 14:22 on 5th October 2009

How sweet is this face?!!!

Young Lester
Picture by Ray Hutcheon

Ollytop
Ollytop
Posted at 13:52 on 15th October 2009
On 14th September 2009 17:17, Rob Faleer wrote:
  I really love seeing them (...deer) , especially when we are sitting on the back deck in the evening with a nice glass of cold wine!

Muntjac: 

I was sitting on the roof in the early Spring when I noticed the sparrows peering down into the garden - there was a large boxer-coloured dog. But it appeared to be a bit slender. It then turned to look up at me and that was when I saw its tusks. A muntjac.  In the garden. She would go crazy!

Well, since our plot backs onto our house, it was obvious that it would have to cross our plot to get to the garden. It ran away before it had eaten any of the shurbs garden (it likes roses, apparently). But more to the point, they are very partial to corn, I am told.  So, we put up a fence round the corn and sprayed it with 'Grazers' and I made a Jackanoodle whose hollow body was filled with 'Silent Roar' (lion poo to the unitiated).

We have see evidence of its little hoof marks on the plot, investigating, probably, but no teeth marks. Next door's corn has been chomped, so it is around.

I told Hendrik and he said he had seen it often in his field. I voiced my dismay that it had taken to trotting round the allotments. We have not seen evidence since, so perhaps he has dealt with it ... He says venison is very nice ... But this morning there are hoofmarks under the walnut tree on the newly dug earth.  Sigh  

Edited by: Ollytop at:15th October 2009 14:03
Ollytop
Ollytop
Posted at 14:10 on 15th October 2009
On 5th October 2009 14:22, Diana Sinclair wrote:

Ahhh. Yes, we have also got one like that. He is called 'TheOtherOne' because Bruv can never remember his name. He likes to sleep in the polytunel, boiling his brains. Probably why he is a bit dim.  He likes to ride in the wheelbarrow ...

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
Posted at 16:00 on 15th October 2009
On 15th October 2009 14:10, Ollytop wrote:
On 5th October 2009 14:22, Diana Sinclair wrote:

Ahhh. Yes, we have also got one like that. He is called 'TheOtherOne' because Bruv can never remember his name. He likes to sleep in the polytunel, boiling his brains. Probably why he is a bit dim.  He likes to ride in the wheelbarrow ...

ROFL!!! Who is the handsome fellow in your avatar?
Ollytop
Ollytop
Posted at 17:04 on 15th October 2009

Hello Diana You ask 'who is the Handsome fellow' ... 

ME! No, serioously, he is Oliver - such a sweet nature and TheOtherOne is Sam (he bites - really well. I will post a picture of him in due course! Thanks for asking. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
Posted at 17:26 on 15th October 2009
Take his teeth out Ollytop, that'll stop him! Lol
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
Posted at 20:04 on 21st October 2009
Lol @ Ron!
Diana Sinclair