Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Side view.

Hartland

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Hello, from the "heartland" of America, Kansas

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Bruce Kennedy
Bruce Kennedy
quotePosted at 12:05 on 5th February 2011
I'm not good at introductions, but here goes. My name is Bruce Kennedy and I obviously live in Kansas. The home of Dorothy and Toto. I am retired from the Navy, however, initially after graduating from high school, and one semester of college, I enlisted in the Marine Corps. After the Marine Corps, I returned to college. Upon graduating from college, I received a commission in the Navy. The closest I ever came to England, was Hong Kong, before the British, returned the island to the Chinese. I love England, and the reason is, my English friends. When I lived in California, I lived next to an English Pub. My friend, who owned the place, said he was a "Geordie" (not sure of the spelling). He said the English used this term for fellow Brits, who were from Manchester, and the surrounding area. I think it is in the Northwest part of England. If I am wrong, forgive me. There were a lot of British people where I lived, in Del Mar, California. And every 4th of July, the Brits and the Yanks would have a softball game and picnic, And after the softball game, the Brits always brought a soccer ball, and we would play soccer. I think, were better than Manchester United. One interesting side note, at least interesting to me, I met a woman from England, and she had a strong English accent, I said to her.." I know you have heard this a thousand times before, but, you look like Princess Diana". She said... "wait a minute"..., went to her car and returned with a picture, of her. she was a Princess Diana. look alike. I told her about my friends, and their English Pub, she actually went there. I know, because when I went to the pub, later that day, her picture was hanging on the wall. She was a great lady, and yes I could listen to Brits talk all day. Well, I'ved rambled long enough. Hello to everyone, so far I enjoy this site very much.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 12:09 on 5th February 2011
the term " geordie " originates  from the north east of england bruce in the city of newcastle on tyne.Smile
SarahPremier Member - Click for more info
Sarah
quotePosted at 12:13 on 5th February 2011
Hi Bruce, welcome to POE Smile
Bruce Kennedy
Bruce Kennedy
quotePosted at 12:39 on 5th February 2011
On 5th February 2011 12:09, james prescott wrote:
the term " geordie " originates  from the north east of england bruce in the city of newcastle on tyne.Smile

Sorry about that. I guess he was from Newcastle. I don't where I got Manchester from. It's been twenty years since I've seen my English friends. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Bruce Kennedy
Bruce Kennedy
quotePosted at 12:40 on 5th February 2011
On 5th February 2011 12:13, Sarah wrote:
Hi Bruce, welcome to POE Smile

Hello, Sarah. Thank you for the welcome.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:41 on 5th February 2011
No good at introductions, Bruce?  Lol.  I think you did great!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:43 on 5th February 2011
Yeh James is right Bruce, Geordies (and their distinct accent) are from the Newcastle area which is on the North East coast. If you look at a map of the British isles (theres one in the left column here), Britain looks like a man sat down with his legs out-stretched). The head is Scotland, the fat arms and belly are Wales, the rest is England, there for the back of his shoulders is 'Geordie' land lol.Smile
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 12:47 on 5th February 2011

I guess you just answered my question from the other thread, Bruce! Welcome again! :-)

BTW - Where did you live in California? I lived in San Diego and then Los Angeles for a while. One of my favorite past times was to take a drive to Santa Monica to Will Rogers State Park where I would watch a polo match and then scoot over to the British Pub and Tea Room for a bite of lunch. :-)

Bruce Kennedy
Bruce Kennedy
quotePosted at 12:59 on 5th February 2011
Diana, I lived primarily in San Diego, Although I used to go to L.A. quite a bit. I lived in Del Mar, Scripps Ranch and finally I moved north to Temecula. Other than the English pub, I lived next to, there was one other English Restuarant, near India Street in San Diego, we used to go to for "Bangers and Mash".
Bruce Kennedy
Bruce Kennedy
quotePosted at 13:02 on 5th February 2011
On 5th February 2011 12:43, lancashirelove wrote:
Yeh James is right Bruce, Geordies (and their distinct accent) are from the Newcastle area which is on the North East coast. If you look at a map of the British isles (theres one in the left column here), Britain looks like a man sat down with his legs out-stretched). The head is Scotland, the fat arms and belly are Wales, the rest is England, there for the back of his shoulders is 'Geordie' land lol.Smile

Thanks for that description and clarification. Having never been to England, I will rely on you and your English countrymen to educate me as to the lay of the land.