Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

ad
ad
ad
ad
A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

My name is Graeme Nolan, living in Alberta, Canada. Age 64, getting ready to retire.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Graeme Nolan
Graeme Nolan
quotePosted at 04:22 on 17th April 2010

I originally came from Manchester in Northern England and am hopeing to retire to the Great Torrington area in North Devon. This is somewhere I have never been to in my life and don't know why I want to retire there now, its just something I have to do I guess. Is there anyone out there that can give me any information about this area of Devon. I visited England last year but stayed mainly in Cornwall, a little too hilly for my tired old legs having to push my wife "Cathryn" around in a wheelchair.

Thanks in advance Graeme.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 06:04 on 17th April 2010

Welcome to POE Graeme, I'm sure someone will be able to help with information on Great Torrington and North Devon in general.

Did you have a look at the photos of the area here on POE?

That is quite an undertaking for you to "up sticks and  relocate all that distance away", but whatever you decide, good luck with it.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 07:24 on 17th April 2010
welcome graeme.
Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 19:24 on 17th April 2010
Hi Graeme, enjoy the pics and wealth of knowledge on POE
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:20 on 17th April 2010

Welcome Graeme!

Sorry I can't help you with the Devon info, but look forward to hearing from you here on the forums, and keeping updated on your big move.

Great to see you here.  

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:30 on 17th April 2010
Welcome to POE Graeme from Anna and Ron, and yes somebody will help you out here in the POE forum. Nice place to move to anyway!!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:31 on 18th April 2010
Hello Graeme - I'm a great believer in going with your instincts so I am sure are doing the right thing! We went on holiday to Fremington Quay (not far from Great Torrington) a few years ago - it was a really nice holiday and there are lots of lovely areas around there to visit. I have a friend who has bought a cottage in Great Torrington for holidays and renting out. They love it there - great surrounding countryside and reasonable house prices for Devon. Good luck!
Graeme Nolan
Graeme Nolan
quotePosted at 19:22 on 18th April 2010

Thanks to everyone. I am looking forward to getting more info before I leave Canada with Cathryn and our Plantation walking horses, this is going to be a big move for us. Hope to be back in the UK by September, we are just waiting for our farm to sell and our horses to clear for travel and we will be off into the wild unknown, a little bit scary at our age but its something we have to do. The winters in Canada are way to cold for us to handle any more.

Graeme
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 19:45 on 18th April 2010
Hi Graeme and welcome to POE. Glad you could join us! I don't know much about Devon as I have only visited England twice so far. But I do wish you the best of luck and wishes for a safe and easy move. Sorry to hear Cathryn is in a wheelchair. I hope the move is not too hard on her. 
Graeme Nolan
Graeme Nolan
quotePosted at 03:25 on 19th April 2010
Thanks Cathy, we wll do just fine by wife is pretty tough she just spent 9 months in hospital and came out ok, a lot better than I did. Man cooking and cleaning is harder than it seems. Got a new respect for you girls having to do for myself for a while.