Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire

Hoddesdon in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

can you help

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Heather Carrington
Heather  Carrington
quotePosted at 02:15 on 2nd January 2013
Hi everyone, i'm Heather and I haven't been to England since I was 16yrs old and I am now 57. I don't know where to start in planning a 2 week trip (I know it's not long) for me and my husband who is so excited.  I have books on farm stays and I know I want to go to the area where my mom grew up, Yorkshire, Otley.  Of course, we want to visit historic York, but we are looking for beautiful little villages with charm and not the hustle of London.  I took care of my mom for the last 12 years and she passed away 4 months ago at 91 yrs.  I'm trying to remember some of the places she said we must see, but I did not write them down.  I remember the "cow and calf" and the Yorkshire moors. I thought we'd like to start in Yorkshire and work our way up to Edinborough Castle which my husband longs to visit.  I don't know if Yorkshire will be as beautiful as Devon, Cornwall and Torquay, which I remember.  Does anyone have any suggestions?   When I came with my parents we stayed overnight at pubs, coach houses, B&B's, and we want to do the same to meet the people, not at a stuffy hotel.  I remember the names of "Ilkley", Shipton, Whitby?  Thanks for any help.   
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:33 on 2nd January 2013

Hi Heather and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. I am quite sure that there are POE family members prepared to help you here just as soon as they get their heads off the pillow! lol

I think it's fair to say that we have a few 'experts' in that area...literally!

Either way enjoy the POE site, the members, and your vacation in due course, and don't forget to join in here whenever you can.

Cerridwenn
Cerridwenn
quotePosted at 15:24 on 2nd January 2013

Heather, I am sure you will find that Yorkshire is very beautiful, but different from Devon and Cornwall. Of course people all have their favorite locations, but every time we visited family in England we were sure to spend a day in York proper and driving through the Yorkshire Dales.  I think one of the things that fascinates me most about Britain in general is how many unique areas are packed into such a tiny place!  You must be planning to rent a car if you want to stay in B&Bs, that is what we always did as well although the last time I was there it had become so expensive, even at the farmhouse ones, that we were not saving any money by avoiding hotels (which was why we had always done the B&B route before).

I think if you are doing Yorkshire and Edinburgh, that you should certainly go by way of the Lake District - that will certainly give you many beautiful little villages to choose from!  When will you be traveling? 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:59 on 2nd January 2013

Hi Heather and welcome Smile

I was born in Yorkshire, have lived in Yorkshire all my life, I have travelled the world quite extensively, following all our travels we are now thinking of relocating/moving house this year - but only to another area of Yorkshire Laughing 

The Yorkshire Dales, North Yorkshire Moors and the chalk coastline around Flamborough and Bempton are a must to visit. Futher up the coast above Newcastle you have the stunning unspoilt wild Northumberland coast, from there you are nearing Scotland, a place I also love.

I remember learning to rock climb on the Cow & Calf rocks when I was 16 (long time ago) loved the rocks, hated the climbing.

We have friends in Cornwall who we visit 2 or 3 times a year, the area where they live just outside Padstow on the North coast is beautiful with some stunning coastal walks and breathtaking views.

Try having a nosy around the 'Welcome to Yorkshire' web site for some ideas. 

To answer your question - Yorkshire is just as beautiful as Devon & Cornwall, and this year we have had better weather. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:27 on 2nd January 2013

Type 'Yorkshire' into the Search Site Box top left and you'll get over 50,000 items to trawl through! Good Luck lol

And don't forget you can get your B&B's cheaper by booking through this site Heather. Just click on  - Bed & Breakfast

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:33 on 2nd January 2013
Hi Heather and welcome to POE, hope you enjoy it and find what you are looking for. Yorksjhire certainly does have a lot going for it especially round Otley, Ilkley and Skipton then up into the Yorshire dales. And I would definitely agree with Cerridwenn in that if you are planning to do yorkshir and Scotland then most certainly take a couple of days to travel though the Lake District, you will not be dissapointed. It is by far my favourite part of this very varied country of ours, and I have been to most parts of the UK over the years. As Ron indicates just type any location in the search box and you will plenty of information on places to see and things to do.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:57 on 2nd January 2013

Hi Heather and a warm welcome to the POE site.  The Yorkshire moors and dales are lovely, I think places like Rievaulx and Fountains Abbey are well worth a visit.  Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay are also beautiful coastal towns not far from Scarborough!  The Lake District is also magnificent for scenery and pretty villages.  The guys have already given you good advise about how to find information on POE and booking your accommodation through POE!  

Happy planning! Smile 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:15 on 2nd January 2013

You could always try Lancashire --more friendlyWink

on a more serious  note there are a lot of nice places in Yorkshire ---me being a Lancastrian i count Yorkshire as my second county.

Edited by: james prescott at:2nd January 2013 21:17
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:28 on 2nd January 2013
  Hi Heather, and welcome to POE. I think my friends above have mostly said it all, I am usually the advocate for Cornwall and all it has to offer in heritage and history as well as stunning scenery. However, I see that your itinery is largly based in the North so do make the most of whatever you can in the time available, I have been to the North York Moors and can only recommend a good tour is the order of the day. For the first time this year I have seen a small part of the Lake District and this is an area you cannot omit from your journey. Whatever you decide and it will not be easy POE is a brilliant place to help with both destiations and where to lay your head at the end of another day of wonder. Enjoy your trip when it comes and in the mean time enjoy it here on POE.
Heather Carrington
Heather  Carrington
quotePosted at 03:09 on 4th January 2013
Thank you everyone.  I now know we must not miss the Lake District that everyone has recommended.  Are there any certain villages or routes you would recommend in the Lake District.  Thank you for all the kind welcomes.  Ill be askiing for help from time to time as I plan our trip.