Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Albans

St Albans

in the county of Hertfordshire

Ingress Park

Greenhithe

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

How are things the Garden?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:52 on 18th April 2015

Yes Shirley, I own web site http://www.PestControl-Supermarket.com but when it comes to dealing with Dandelions in my lawns for example I try to have their heads off before they go to seed, effectively before they create a bigger problem.

As for the Pest Control Companies registered with the web site I'm not  likely to pay them for the job when I know I can deal with it myself, as you suggest. So as much as anything the post just moves the thread along, keeping the POE name going and the members informed!

Lawns need cutting again today so have to get the medication right first or I wouldn't manage it, amazing stuff this Morphine.....until it wears off! lol

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 08:56 on 18th April 2015
Borders to-day then Lawn which will be on a lower cut this time --when she has finished that it will be dinner time--handy things these wives.Smile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:20 on 19th April 2015
Need to get some netting over the Cherry tree soon, that is before the Pigeons get to the young shoots/fruit. They virtually stripped the tree last year in just a couple of early mornings, but it won't happen this year!
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 01:11 on 20th April 2015

now see, if you were "dove" you'd dig up some dandilions" untainted" by pesticides and put them in thier own pot...and eat them when they come up..or sell them for tea. So you should add in your pesicide program, eraticating weeds with out theuse of pesticides and go to the bank on the products of of dandilions. One of the biggest reason we have no bees is the fields of cover,..is that the fields age gone  that use to attract them to the blossons to make thier honey. that is th efirst thing that my Lasanga Garden says...plant around your veggie plants ...flowers that will attract bees to  pollinate them. The pesticide I used this year has all but kill three of my fruit trees. It said it was an safe f in one spray for disease, fungicide, inscets and something else...and could be used to the day of harvest...what harvest?..... the trees are barely alive right now and no blossom set fruit at all.  I already have an expanding list of fruit I don't buy because I can't afford it. Stop amd think...apples $1.99 pound...grapes $2.48 cents an pound...one pound would be 2 cups....you have an family of five people...that's going to be $5 for fruit if not more...to expensive. For what you can buy the grapes for fresh...you can buy the table wine. Become an "wineo" instead...and ruin your health at the same time. No way...not for me, they have let thier greed for money consume their inteligience. Now see, there's another thing..dandilion wine.   

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 01:20 on 20th April 2015

An safe 4 in one spray...bull$..it killed them. I can't afford to buy fruit on my social security check these days..it's not enough...people aren't out in the streets protesting for nothing...they don't have the money to eat these days. The stuff they try to grow, the city won't let them or it's unsafe for them, as in GMO seeds, at top dollar...many seeds are manipulated to only produce the least of crops also.  Our consuming need for money is now destroying us. There is no turning back...cause those could do something about it won't wake up and face the music of what they have brought onto the people. It's every industry also. Not just one of them. When you go through town and you see the stores are closed...it's more then just an sign of doing business on the internet...it's saying they can't make an profit with customers...honest to goodness "live" people. Something very wrong...and so what happens when the net goes down?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:39 on 20th April 2015

We'll have a lot of lonely people who don't have any life skills Shirley, that's what will happen if the net goes down, as surely it will one day?

As for dandelion Wine, I have made that previously using the heads (flowers) and I can tell you it's very good!

Never eaten Dandelion leaves, but like everything else I suppose, you don't eat it whilst there are other alternatives such as cabbage etc. Then there is the Nettle that apparently tastes good. Food for thought! lol

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:40 on 20th April 2015

We'll have a lot of lonely people who don't have any life skills Shirley, that's what will happen if the net goes down, as surely it will one day?

As for dandelion Wine, I have made that previously using the heads (flowers) and I can tell you it's very good!

Never eaten Dandelion leaves, but like everything else I suppose, you don't eat it whilst there are other alternatives such as cabbage etc. Then there is the Nettle that apparently tastes good. Food for thought! lol

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 17:59 on 20th April 2015
Garden looking good now --all border plants spritting,not many weeds about - the only thing wrong is we have a rented house at the back with two catsFrown
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:46 on 21st April 2015

Ah the messy, stinking issue of Cats again James. Trouble is they don't do their business in their own garden do they?

And if you let them use your garden regularly, the whole area stinks.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:32 on 22nd April 2015
True RonFrownbut what can you do about it??---had a couple of hours yesterday pruning --talk about scratches any way its all done now and the green bin is full again--a bit of good news is our next door neighbour has enlarged his fish pond and given us all the soil which has saved us about £35 Smilekind of him.