Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

ad
ad
ad
ad
A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is your favourite cake/pie?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:36 on 2nd November 2008

My friends version, which looks quite close to the one above. I am going to make it just as soon as I am back on my feet.

300g of dark choc digestive biscuits (do you have them?) put them in the processor and turn them to crumbs
add 3oz of melted butter, and press the mixture into a pie dish
put in the fridge for 20 mins or so to set
put the caramel on top
then two/three sliced up bananas (one slice thick)
10 floz of double cream, whip it up and put ontop of the bananas
grate Bornville ontop.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:39 on 2nd November 2008
On 2nd November 2008 22:27, Ruth Gregory wrote:

BTW, Sue, do you have all the stuff you need to follow an English receipe?  LIke a set of scales.  (I'm guessing you do).  Because so many of their recipes measure ingredients by weight rather than cups, teaspoons, etc.

This was a topic of conversation on the old recipe thread - I couldn't make the conversions for Peter's Welsh Cookie recipe.

If you let me know the recipe, I can convert it for you (I think).

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:46 on 2nd November 2008
On 2nd November 2008 22:36, Sue H wrote:

My friends version, which looks quite close to the one above. I am going to make it just as soon as I am back on my feet.

300g of dark choc digestive biscuits (do you have them?) put them in the processor and turn them to crumbs
add 3oz of melted butter, and press the mixture into a pie dish
put in the fridge for 20 mins or so to set
put the caramel on top
then two/three sliced up bananas (one slice thick)
10 floz of double cream, whip it up and put ontop of the bananas
grate Bornville ontop.

What would you use as substitute for dark choc digestive biscuits and why on earth are they called that?  LOL.  I know they have pre-made oreo crusts here.

What's the difference (if any) between say, double cream and heavy whipping cream?

As for the Welsh Cookie recipe, I'll try to find it.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:51 on 2nd November 2008

OK, Sue, here it is.  We've had these all our lives and they are simply wonderful, and I think I've a pretty good recipe for them, but I wanted to try Peter's because it's probably more authentically Welsh.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 13:22 on 27th May 2008

My recipe for welsh cakes.

225g self raising flour. 1/2  to 1 teaspoon mixed spice. pinch of salt. 85g caster sugar. 115g butter or margarine. 85g sultanas. 1 large egg beaten.

Mix the flour spice and salt into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Rub in the butter or marge to make a crumb like mixture.Mix in the sultanas and then mix in the egg using a fork.

Dump the doug onto a lightly floured board and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. cut into circles abot 2 1/2 inches wide. Then cook on a low heat on your lightly greased griddle for about 30 seconds a side. Or untill they are a nice golden brown.  They always look as if not cooked on the inside, but when left to cool, they are delish.

If you want more, just double the quantities.

Thanks!!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:56 on 2nd November 2008

I wouldn't use Oreos.  There is nothing over here like the chocolate biscuits in the recipe, though you can get them from stores that sell English food (I have my favourite online English shop). By the way, they are wheat biscuits topped with chocolate, and to die for.

The American's take out more fat from their cream than the English do, so the cream is less creamy than English cream, which is why English cream is such a wonderful creamy colour and American cream looks like milk.

I think American cream must have 36% milk fat and English 48%. That's a big difference and is noticeable in recipes.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:56 on 2nd November 2008
I'll work on Peter's recipe for you Ruth.
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 22:57 on 2nd November 2008
Gee thanks girls, I've just recently been told to cut down my callories...... Undecided
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:59 on 2nd November 2008

I didn't know that, thanks Sue.  Years ago when I lived in rural Pennsylvania, we lived just up the road from a dairy farm and we'd buy our milk directly from the farmer, right out of the bulk tank.  No pasteurization or or homogenization, and next morning the cream would be at the top of the bottle.  Nothing better than that.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 23:00 on 2nd November 2008
  Sue, Ruth and Wolf downing their first slice of bannoffee pie.
Pamela Brooke
Pamela Brooke
quotePosted at 20:16 on 12th November 2008
That cartoon is cool!!!  How do you do that!!!