Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

ad
ad
ad
ad
A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is your favourite cake/pie?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:23 on 12th November 2008
I have a smiley program called GetSmile, though the one above came from somewhere else and right now I can't remember where.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 06:18 on 13th November 2008
 Aussie Gramma pie (sweet pumpkin)

1 cup sugar
1½ cups boiled Gramma, ( steamed)
125gr sultanas ( I like a bit more )
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
Beat all together while gramma is still hot. Line a pie plate with a good short-crust pastry, fill with the fruit mixture and cover with a thin piece of pastry. Press edges together, trim and brush over with milk with a little sugar dissolved in it. Bake in a moderate oven till nicely browned.
L
L
quotePosted at 08:15 on 13th November 2008
Sounds nice but i'll substitute the pumpkin for apple  and take out the ginger and lemon, its reminds me too much of having to take a ginger/lemon concoction when i was ill lol  apart from that it looks ok lolWink I can't make pastry though, even the birds wont eat it LOL
Jean Pickersgill
Jean Pickersgill
quotePosted at 10:20 on 14th November 2008

Hi little sis, Jean here. I've got a recipe for Pumpkin pie to die for. I'll give you it later. This recipe has been sent to a lady in Utah who has won many prizes for her Pumpkin pies, (sort of a case of sending coals to Newcastle) and her son was fed up with pumpkin pie, but after tasting my recipe said would I write it out for his Mom so that she could try it.Laughing They're still alive I think. For the novices out there who have not tried pumpkin pie the texture is similar to an English custard tart and the flavour not dissimilar to Christmas cake, slightly sweeter and more buttery, with that warming hint of spice. Yummy Tongue out. I'll type out the recipe for anyone who wants to try it and send it to you if you're brave enough to chance something new. By the way, the young man who was fed up of pumpkin pie had four slices of my pie - I was lucky enough to get my pie plate back with the bottom still intact.

LOL Jean P

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 12:13 on 14th November 2008
LOL Jean. I would like to try it. Sounds Yummy! Smile  
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:54 on 14th November 2008
On 14th November 2008 10:20, Jean Pickersgill wrote:

Hi little sis, Jean here. I've got a recipe for Pumpkin pie to die for. I'll give you it later. This recipe has been sent to a lady in Utah who has won many prizes for her Pumpkin pies, (sort of a case of sending coals to Newcastle) and her son was fed up with pumpkin pie, but after tasting my recipe said would I write it out for his Mom so that she could try it.Laughing They're still alive I think. For the novices out there who have not tried pumpkin pie the texture is similar to an English custard tart and the flavour not dissimilar to Christmas cake, slightly sweeter and more buttery, with that warming hint of spice. Yummy Tongue out. I'll type out the recipe for anyone who wants to try it and send it to you if you're brave enough to chance something new. By the way, the young man who was fed up of pumpkin pie had four slices of my pie - I was lucky enough to get my pie plate back with the bottom still intact.

LOL Jean P

I want the recipe Jean.

I've been in the States 16 years, and never have tried Pumpkin Pie.

I know Utah well.

Jean Pickersgill
Jean Pickersgill
quotePosted at 06:13 on 15th November 2008

PUMPKIN PIE

8oz/225g plain flour, 5oz/150g butter or margarine (chilled), 8oz/225g caster sugar, finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon, 14oz/400g cooked pumpkin or 14oz/400g can pumpkin cubes (drained and pureed), 1 tbsp (tablespoon)/15ml cornflour, 1tsp(teaspoon)/5ml ground mixed spice, 1tsp/5ml cinnamon, 1/4pt/150ml single cream, 3 eggs (size 3), 1/4pt/150ml whipping cream, 1 tbsp/15ml finely chopped walnuts or pecans.

Put the flour into a bowl and rub in the fat with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 2oz/50g of the sugar and the lemon rind. Add 3-4 tbsps/45-60mls cold water and quickly stir with a knife until the mixture binds. Roll out on a lighlty floures surface into a circle and line a 9in/23 cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Prick the base and chill. Put the pumpkin, remaining sugar, cornflour, spices, single cream and eggs into a blender or food processor and process until the mixture is smooth. Pour into the flan case and bake at Gas Mark 6/400F/200C for 45 mins then turn off the oven, open the door and leave the pie in for a further 15 mins. Leave to cool. Whip the remaining cream and pipe it around the edge. Sprinkle with the nuts. Enjoy.

There it is folks. Sorry I haven't got a conversion table for the American weights and measures to hand, but I,m sure it'll be easy enough to work  out.

LOL Jean P                   

Pamela Brooke
Pamela Brooke
quotePosted at 07:29 on 15th November 2008
On 14th November 2008 10:20, Jean Pickersgill wrote:

LOL Jean P

Hi Big Sis!!!  I would definitely be interested in having a go at making pumpkin pie!  Don't you just love this thread I started!  Heh heh!!  As you know, food is my main hobby (next to this website lol!!).  I think I remember you bringing some to our house many years ago, but I was a lot more fussy with food on those days so I can't remember if I tried it or not, but I sure will this time!!! 

I love this website!!  The people here are great!!!

Little Sis    Wink

Jean Pickersgill
Jean Pickersgill
quotePosted at 09:02 on 15th November 2008
 Hi lil sis. Nothing truer said. Fantastic site and you could eat for Europe. Just try and imagine all you've been missing all these years because you were 'picky' about food. P.S. Let Dad make the pastry. He's the 'Merlin' of baking in the family.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:41 on 15th November 2008
Thank you Jean. I've printed it out and will give it a try. Maybe at Thanksgiving if I can stand on two feet by then.
I have my English scales complete with both imperial and metric weights, so I'm good to go.