Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Mudeford

Mudeford a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Pilley, Hampshire

Pilley in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

ONE FOR THE WESTERN FANS

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:20 on 26th February 2010

Wayne's children in it were Melinda, Michael, Patrick, and Toni.

Off to bed and work tomorrow at 5. Smile

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:07 on 27th February 2010

How do you guys know all this stuff?  Smile

You need to come to visit me in Arizona.  We have a lot of cheesy tourist old west towns and stuff like that, but the scenery is genuine and beautiful.

Ya'll are welcome any time, ya hear?

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 13:57 on 27th February 2010
all we had in our youth ruth was outdoor activities such as foot-ball,rugby, fishing and my treat on a saturday was a trip to the flea-pit "cinema"       where all these old films were on.Smile  i wish them days were back.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:26 on 27th February 2010
i would like to see your face ruth if me and paul turned up with all that cowboy gear,anyway thanks for the offer.Laughing
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:39 on 27th February 2010
I've got some photos somewhere that might surprise you, James.  I've been patiently waiting for the story you were going to tell us....Smile
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 23:13 on 27th February 2010

ah  i thought you would never ask    re/quiet man--here goes 

this is a true story --after filming everywhere was transformed back to its original state except cohans bar which remained an attraction to the american tourists visiting ireland.                                                           on the bar was a saddle said to be the saddle john wayne used in the race with a picture at the side of it,a chap asked how much to buy it but the reply was not for sale he said everything has a price the old lady eventually sold it,as soon as he leftthe shop she phoned downstairs and said  send another one up ive just sold the last one.                               two weeks later there was 8 americans getting on the plane at dublin airport carrying 8 saddles.Laughingand they say the irish are stupid. 

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:41 on 27th February 2010
Thanks James, I enjoy a good bed time story.  I was also just wondering if when Ruth travelled around County Mayo, if she came across the Ashford Castle Estate where part of it was filmed and the cast/crew stayed at while filming around there?
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:26 on 1st March 2010

Hi Paul.  Unfortunately, no.  We were more in north Mayo and I think Ashford is more south, near Galway.  I think the nearest town's called Cong.  We passed to the east of Cong whilst we were driving down to County Cork.

At least one TV station plays the Quiet Man every year on St. Patrick's Day over here.  

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:30 on 1st March 2010
On 27th February 2010 23:13, james prescott wrote:

ah  i thought you would never ask    re/quiet man--here goes 

this is a true story --after filming everywhere was transformed back to its original state except cohans bar which remained an attraction to the american tourists visiting ireland.                                                           on the bar was a saddle said to be the saddle john wayne used in the race with a picture at the side of it,a chap asked how much to buy it but the reply was not for sale he said everything has a price the old lady eventually sold it,as soon as he leftthe shop she phoned downstairs and said  send another one up ive just sold the last one.                               two weeks later there was 8 americans getting on the plane at dublin airport carrying 8 saddles.Laughingand they say the irish are stupid. 

Being half Irish, George, I'd say stubborn-yes, hard headed - yes, bulls*****rs  - yes, but stupid, NO WAY.  Americans on the other hand, Undecided.  Apart from those of Irish extraction, that is.  Smile

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:26 on 1st March 2010

BBC's Top Gear car programme had an interesting American Special with Jeremy Clarkson and Co. driving from Miami to New Orleans. The production team gave them a few challenges to make it interesting, and we end up here with the classic western scene of strangers arriving in town, albeit, in the South as they enter Alabama........but when they arrived in New Orleans a year after Katrina, the scenes there were truly shocking of the devastation still there. But this clip is my fav from the show.  Smile A few miles over the border from Pensacola, Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lsY5BaKhuQ