Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Froghall Railway Station

Froghall

in the county of Staffordshire

Wolvesey Castle Ruins, Hampshire

Winchester

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Why are we fascinated with England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 20:10 on 14th April 2010
I was thinking of Derbyshire or Leicestershire...or Lake District...or Cornwall...There is too many to choose from!!
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 20:27 on 14th April 2010
On 14th April 2010 20:10, Krissy wrote:
I was thinking of Derbyshire or Leicestershire...or Lake District...or Cornwall...There is too many to choose from!!

Wow! quite a range! Keep in mind, too, that many of the great houses close for the season by either September 30 or October 31--if that is the case, you might want to opt more for scenery and its hard to beat the Lake District for that. That being said, Derbyshire is great for scenery too, and Chatsworth is open all year (they also have cottages on the property to rent by the week as well, especially the Hunting Tower or the Swiss Cottage; www.chatsworth.org). So many things . . . so little time!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 20:31 on 14th April 2010

Oh Chatsworth!! Now there is a place I want to visit!!!

I see Rob you will be my go-to person when I start planning!!!

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 00:54 on 15th April 2010
I'll be happy to help!
Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 02:41 on 15th April 2010
I just showed my American hubby some of your feedback on this question, his remark was "why would anyone like England, its like dungeons and dragons, and so old"!!!! Just my point, magical and mystical! storybook memories (Krissy). Hubby just does not see it!!! and I'm trying to convince him to move beyond the pond!!
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 16:51 on 15th April 2010

My sentiments exactly - everyone!  I only wish I had discovered England when I was 20, rather than 50!  I might have seen more of it by now.  I don't completely understand my fascination with it, but I accept it as part of who I am.

Krissy, I too am waiting for my lottery numbers to hit or some other resource to fund another trip.  I have been to England in May and in September, and both times the weather was gorgeous.  It seems impossible to choose where to go, as every inch of the country seems to be beautiful and full of history.  You might try putting a map on the wall and throw darts to try and pick your first places to visit.  I have stayed in B&B's, a cottage and small hotel (in London).  They each have pros and cons, depending on what you're looking for in accommodations.  If you want a full English breakfast but don't like getting up by a certain time, then a cottage would be better than a B&B.  I enjoyed the B&B's because I am an early riser and enjoyed having someone else make breakfast for me. It was also fun to sit at table with interesting people from other places around the world. Bottom line, wherever you go, whatever you do there, you will love it.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 17:56 on 15th April 2010
On 15th April 2010 02:41, Dee Gill wrote:
I just showed my American hubby some of your feedback on this question, his remark was "why would anyone like England, its like dungeons and dragons, and so old"!!!! Just my point, magical and mystical! storybook memories (Krissy). Hubby just does not see it!!! and I'm trying to convince him to move beyond the pond!!

Tell him that England Is Old. We have stone circles and ancient villages that are over 5000 years old here. Fortunately, we try to save them from destruction for our great grandchildren to enjoy as well. It is our heritage.

We must save these places for posterity. I love finding old castles and ancient villages. They are great to explore. I try to imagine what the people that built them were like and how they lived. We have a very rich history right here on our doorstep. If it were not for our ancestors,where would we be today?

Oops,time to get off my soap box. Sorry! 

Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 19:03 on 15th April 2010
Spot on Peter!!
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 19:05 on 15th April 2010
You are right Peter, thats why we like the old Church's and Fonts, we think of all the people who have been baptised, there, and what their lives were like many years ago, there is often info in the Church's about the history,  but, I just wish there were not Rabbits in some of the Churchyards, because if there is I stay in the car and let my husband go by himself.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:52 on 15th April 2010
for our american friends i have a little bit of history for them,i have some pics of the american air base at burtonwood prior to the demolition of the hangers,who knows their fathers may have been stationed there just say and i will post them.burtonwood is near warrington.