Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Greenwich, Greater London

Greenwich

in the county of Greater London

The Elan Valley, Wales

Rhayader

in the county of Powys

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Why are we fascinated with England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 20:02 on 15th April 2010
Here I go again lol, but if you go onto google earth, you can make out the old Burtonwood airfield just west of Liverpool, near Warington. It was a big base during the 40's with lots of US GI's and airman, many married english girls and took them to the States when the war finished, others stayed in the UK and sadly many flew to their deaths over  wartime Germany from this base
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:11 on 15th April 2010
i was born not too far from there michael they treated us very well when we were kids i go through occasionally but its very different now.Smile
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:33 on 16th April 2010

England being old? That's just one of the main attractions.

Here in Belgium it's almost a tradition to knock down buildings after a certain age. Just look at our coastline. There used to be very fine 19 century houses. Now you just see modern appartement blocks stretching for miles.

No, no just give me those fine English, centuries old cottages.

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:35 on 16th April 2010
Dee--Not to pry, but what kinds of interests does you husband have? It's likely that there are activities in England that might appeal to him and spark some interest for a visit.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:22 on 16th April 2010
On 16th April 2010 13:35, Rob Faleer wrote:
Dee--Not to pry, but what kinds of interests does you husband have? It's likely that there are activities in England that might appeal to him and spark some interest for a visit.
See 'keep fit'Wink post Lol!!!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 17:28 on 16th April 2010
I love it because i was born here ..my family live here ..but ..I do love the history, i love the old buildings everywhere , my neighbour lives in a 17th century school ..and theres a 16 th century manor up the road, surrounded by a 13th century wall!!  it really is all around us. Also the countryside is very changable, rugged coastlines, sandy beaches, bleak moorland, rolling green hills, flat wetlands, mountains, gorges ...all can really be reached within a few days visit.!!  I live pretty much in the middle of england ..but its still only a maximum of a few hours to any of the scenes i've just mentioned! with most within an hour!!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 17:35 on 16th April 2010
See that is exactly what I like! Here if a house is built in 1900...that's considered REALLY old!!  The US and where I live in New Jersey has a lot going for it, but for some reason England just has all the charm.
Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 00:20 on 17th April 2010

Hubby used to be very outdoorsy, camping by the Delaware River, skiing, but back issues now prevents him from getting back on the slopes, loves fishing when he has the time, Bass and deep sea mostly. (most of this was done before I even met him!!) Once a year we drive down to San Diego with the kids. AZ is land locked and he feels there is not much in the way of fishing here. He has trouble believing that the Brits fish!!. Skiing may be an issue as we don't really have 14,000 ft slope in the UK, but Austria and Switzerland is not too far-may be tad bit more pricey though!!

He visited UK about 7 years ago and I took him to Bath, Oxford, Windsor and Warwick castle/Stratford and the town where chitty chitty bang bangs windmill is (can't remember the town, its not too far from my home, Wycombe) which he enjoyed. But he is not really the type to walk around cute English villages looking at cottages and old buildings. I love it though. We have hardly done any outdoorsy stuff, since moving to AZ , its mostly too hot to muster up any energy to do even the grocery shopping!! let alone get a trip organised. Every week end, most people here drive up to Flagstaff (half way point to Grand Canyon), during the stifling summer months (which in fact starts in March!) But the traffic is pretty bad especially when its115 degrees F outside and there is a traffic jam!! About 10 degrees cooler up North, But way too much sun for me. Give me the British summer any day!!

When my family back in the UK moan about how its this or that in England, I  have to tell them how special home really is. The charm, beauty, 4 seasons, easy accessability to Europe, culture, humour, food etc, etc. All the things I miss terribly and cannot get here in the US. Except via POE!!! 

My husbands cousin recently visited us from Nottingham, and spent 3 months here in the US, and about a month with my family. She went back with a renewed love for Britain. She often calls me to tell me that she is exploring alot more, walking more, enjoying the historic part alot more and just loves seeing people around.She really has noticed how lovely England is. I think those people who don't like the UK, need to leave for a while and realise that it is a fascinating country in every way.

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 00:50 on 17th April 2010
Dee! I grew up at the Delaware River! Right in the Water Gap!!! Small world!!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 09:16 on 17th April 2010

He has trouble believing that the Brits fish!!.

I cant believe your husband has trouble believing this, Dee.

Britain is made up of many, many small islands plus the mainland, we are an island race, going back thousands of years. Fishing (of all kinds) is in our blood, be it from the young boy 'fly' fishing in some babbling brook to the hardend deep sea fishing trawlers, braving all the dangers that the North sea can throw at them. Why do you think that one of our national 'dishes' is good old 'Fish and chips' lol.  I realy do think your hubby should get out more Dee and i'm glad you are still hanging onto your roots and trying to educate your children to the British way of life and that of their ancesters. PS if you want to buy an island in he UK I'm sure some agent over here has one for sale.Smile