'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A View of Holy Island

Holyhead

in the county of Isle of Anglesey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Why are we fascinated with England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 15:52 on 19th April 2010

I wonder if anyone is as facinated by America as we are of England!!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 16:04 on 19th April 2010

I think I would find anywhere I could visit fascinating, all different cultures, scenery, architecture, ways of life, history - don't know how anyone could not be!

I would love to visit America - almost all geographies in one place, but especially I fancy Vermont and New England in Autumn. (There are lots of other places - but this forum is about Fascination with England - so I will desist! lol)Smile

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 16:16 on 19th April 2010
On 19th April 2010 16:04, cathyml wrote:

I think I would find anywhere I could visit fascinating, all different cultures, scenery, architecture, ways of life, history - don't know how anyone could not be!

I would love to visit America - almost all geographies in one place, but especially I fancy Vermont and New England in Autumn. (There are lots of other places - but this forum is about Fascination with England - so I will desist! lol)Smile

I have always admired your thinking  !!
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:47 on 19th April 2010
Thank you!    I think!        Undecided         Laughing
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:49 on 19th April 2010

I reckon you lot are only interested in England because you know that's where I live! Lol

Thinks.....wait for the flak.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:54 on 19th April 2010
Naturally, what else could we be interested in? LOL
Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 04:52 on 20th April 2010

You know, by the time I get over there..if I live long enough..I should know all the Castles and much of Btitain's history, the genealogy of its people, and most all it native plants and folklore. It gave an lot to the world over its years of history. The pristine sceny is marvelous. POE has been an big help to me in discovering the places I read about all the time. For an long time an British man owned mcuh of western Oregon along the Coastal mountains. Its only been in the recent past an couple of years he has let much of it go. Brtians do well on keeping things "taken care of" in their lives for others down the lane.

Deb..one of my workers at work was an "Irish" war bride, and she couldn't visit her parents much with small kids, but when she retired, and her girls got older, she'd go every other year with one of them back to Ireland...by then it wasn't such an cost, and she could really do what she wanted and stay an little longer. But cell phones and computers have done much for those far from home these days.

I took one summer with my traveling buddy and we went from Oregon to Boston and down to Florida and back to Oregon researching and looking things over the entire way. I think when your traveling, no matter how much time, there' s always something to go back to for added vacationing that you'd missed or wanted to enjoy bettter. Never think one trip to somewhere justifies it all.

Hazel West
Hazel West
quotePosted at 09:57 on 20th April 2010
I think that there is beauty everywhere and am glad we are able to capture it for others to see. My son, 22, wants to move to America (more to do with rock bands than anything else), I don't think he can see the 'beauty' yet, only the not so nice areas of our modern towns/cities and the ever difficult living problems we are faced with. It doesn't matter where you live, there is something, somewhere for everyone.
Urmimala Singh
Urmimala Singh
quotePosted at 16:56 on 20th April 2010

Very true Hazel.I agree with you completely.

Dee, I am a little late in joining this thread but I can fully appreciate your longing for England.I have been fascinated by England since childhood but got to visit at nearly age 40 for about 3 weeks.Believe it or not I felt really 'homesick' for a long time after returning to India.I love England because of its fascinating history,centuries old but remarkably well preserved buildings,churches and its picture postcard countryside.I also love so many of her authors and poets whose works I have read and enjoyed repeatedly since I was a girl.I spend many happy hours just dreaming and planning about my next visit.

But I also believe that no matter where you live ( and many times we have no choice!),there is something beautiful and nice  to enjoy and appreciate everywhere.

Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 20:11 on 20th April 2010

thankyou, yes there is beauty everywhere. When I first came to the States, (a short visit, then I got married) I was mesmerized. The main thing that caught my attention were initially the big homes and the wide spaces, and as I did a bit of travelling and spent longer here, the shapes and sizes of different mountain ranges, Grand Canyon, breathtaking national parks and modern architecture ie Las Vegas and homes in the Southwest. All these things did amaze me for many years. Krissy as you mention these things may fascinate us with the US.

Different states within the US has something different to offer, whether it is the weather, some do like it hot!! or the much cooler temps, the flatter areas to mounainous places, southwestern deserts to the green pastures of the Pacific North West/North East, the the Hispanic style homes to the colonial homes of virginia etc, etc. Places may be a plane ride away but its available to all over here.

I'm not sure though why my homesickness became so strong in only the last 4 years or so after being here for about 14 yrs. Did miss family prior to that though but I could handle not seeing them as often, or not eating my favourite British foods or even shopping in my fave stores back home. But I am now missing everything English down to the windy days at the bus stop!! I never thought about the finer details of home. But I know I am not the only one as the expat type forums outline and the love of POE to so many of you show.

Moving to hot, dry, deserty AZ has, I believe assisted in this pining!! To me the major pastime here, in the US seems to be shopping and eating out and strolling down the many strip malls! Just my opinion, because I'm in my missing home phase, so don't want to upset anyone!!  but I began seeing the US quite differently. I do miss the lack of popping over a neighbours for tea or borrowing a cup of sugar from next door! Just yesterday my American hubby wanders how I grew up with one toilet and bathroom, with a seperate hot tap and cold tap in a cramped bathroom in a small semi-detached house, with no walk in closets!! Well we did not know any better, and we lived within our means and I know many back home are grateful for their little homes with their mini facilities! I tell him that it is all very well having big homes, big cars, big closets with lots of clothes and 3 bathrooms!! (by the way we like small everything!) but it is not about stuff, but the closeness of a community and family and a sense of belonging, the wonder of the past brought into the present by the preservation of our history for our kids and their kids to enjoy.

I suppose once kids come into the picture you try to figure out places to take them, close by, inexpensive and where they may learn something useful, after doing the zoo, museum thing (can't compare AZ musems to New York or British ones!!) and parks, they get bored going to Walmart or library every otherday!! Thats where I begin to wish we were back home to do all the family stuff I rememeber doing and the picture tours outline on POE.  Don't get me wrong, I am doing my best here, even if a stroll past the oldest house in the maze of sub divisions may be 2002!! We make that 6 hour trip just to see the ocean and sandy beeches, even if it is once every other year, we have driven up north to show the kids snow. They have learnt alot about the history of America, revoultion, native American history. Bottom line, need to make the most of it where ever and keep saving up for frequent trips home so that they get a bigger picture of the world. Would love to know how Sue adjusted to deserty Nevada. And sorry if I have rambled on!!

Edited by: Dee Gill at:20th April 2010 20:52