'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Purple Dahlia at the Chelsea Physic Garden, London

Chelsea

in the county of Greater London

Autumnal view of Westerdale from the western side of the valley. North Yorkshire

Westerdale

in the county of North Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Why are we fascinated with England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:45 on 21st April 2010

Hello Dee--Would your husband possibly be interested in steam railways? They are quite fascinating and riding in the vintage cars is a real treat! Here is a website that presents a lot of information on the various UK and Irish operating steam railways:

http://www.heritagerailways.com/abc.html

Maybe it will pique his interest in visiting the UK.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Urmimala Singh
Urmimala Singh
quotePosted at 16:01 on 21st April 2010
Dear Dee,I do understand your predicament and sympathise fully with you.You know I have inherited my love for history, nature , flowers, English literature etc. from my father.But people like me are in a minority over here.So I used to long for like minded people till I chanced upon POE.It has really been the most wonderful discovery in my life.Now whenever I feel lonely or bored I log on and pretty soon I forget everything else.And since I cant live in England or visit it frequently the next best option is to see my favourite country through the wonderful pictures on this site!Smile
Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 16:25 on 21st April 2010

POE has helped me alot in the past couple of weeks I have been on the forums. I think I have got alot of my homesickness off my chest. It is taking time to adjust living here and calling the US my home. But you are right, Urmimala, the next best option is to keep enjoying POE and to keep planning for trips one day. I just wish I had found this site much earlier though, there is so much to see and enjoy on POE.

Rob-thankyou for your advice, hubby is into vintage cars, namely 1968 mustang candy apple red!!! his dream car. I don't know if that is vintage enough!!

Edited by: Dee Gill at:21st April 2010 16:28
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 16:39 on 21st April 2010

Mustang Sally lol Rock on! Heres one of my pics of a Vauxhall Cresta, the nearest British equivulant lol

English Cars
Picture by mike gerrard

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 01:24 on 22nd April 2010

Dee--speaking of vintage cars, your husband might be interested in visiting the Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon just south of Warwick. It's less than 60 miles from High Wycombe, most of it via the M-40. Here is their website:

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 01:28 on 22nd April 2010

Dee--And here is another site that might be of interest to your husband:

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/museums/

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 01:33 on 22nd April 2010

Dee--And how about vintage motorcycles?

http://www.motorcycle-uk.com/lmm/beginning.html

Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 05:59 on 22nd April 2010
Thankyou, thankyou!! lots of good stuff, guys, hubby will be very excited, there's more to visiting England than meets the eye!! No more days sitting at the relatives, drinking endless cups of tea for him!!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:34 on 23rd April 2010

Hi Dee, from your AZ neighbor.  I can't imagine how much you miss England, being from there.  I miss it and I've only spent about 17 days of my whole life there.  Keep your chin up, I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to visit.  I think that we who were fortunate enough to be born in either England or the U.S. in the latter half of the 20th century, are probably the most blessed people in all of human history.  But we always want to be where we're not, don't we?  When I have the odd day that I wish I was someplace else, I think of the 99% of the world's population that would trade places with me in a heartbeat.  That helps to put things in perspective.  But keep hanging around here and it will either help to see all the beauty here, or just make you pine more for England, but either way, you'll have the next best thing to being there.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:41 on 23rd April 2010