Rhyl

in the county of Denbighshire

View from top of Rhayader Dam, Powys

Rhayader

in the county of Powys

Rugby, Warwickshire. Bank Street looking east from Regent Street May 2005

Rugby

in the county of Warwickshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Why are we fascinated with England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next >

Dee Gill
Dee Gill
quotePosted at 06:15 on 14th April 2010

Having just joined POE, I am firstly amazed by how so many people from around the world, love England so much. Even those who have never visited are amzed by it. My own longingness for home has mainly grown out of me being away in the USA for so long now and realising what I had there can never be replicated here.  But there are so many who live in England and rave about it, warts and all.  What is it about this country, that fascinates so many of us?  I believe it somehow comes down to the magical and almost fairytale like atmosphere there.I personally equate the quaint villages, winding roads, cottages etc with childhood alot, the kids books I read, the cozy village scenes on Christmas cards, etc. all remind me of fairytale times, and thats a cozy feeling, I'd love to have back and enjoy with my own family.

Secondly I have to say this is the most polite forum I have ever come across. The banter and humour is so typical English. A delight to be a part of.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:13 on 14th April 2010

That is an interesting question Dee.  I wonder if people living in England but born elsewhere have the same urge to visit their original birthplace? Or have they become absorbed by England?

Maybe this fascination is something very much more deep seated. With the English (Scots, Irish & Welsh) spreading out to so many different places in the world perhaps some tendrils or hair roots of their mother land get passed down through the generations?

Interesting question!  Anyone any other thoughts on this?

As Ron is very fond of saying - this is a forum for the whole family - and I think that is what keeps (most of us) polite, even with the all the fun and banter! (Just good clean fun)!Smile

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:37 on 14th April 2010

Welcome Dee

I think there's also another group af people that is interested in England. People like me, with no natural link to England what so ever.

One of my greatest interests is History /Archaeology and I never seen a country so keen in preserving there historical legacy.

Also the legendary countryside is truly stunning. I've been to the Provence and several times to Tuscany but the English countryside is very magical. Even with less sun than France or Italy.

After my first visit, as a young trainee, I just fell in love.

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 11:32 on 14th April 2010

Excellent question Dee!!!

For me, I cannot put my finger on it. I've been facinated by England since I was a very little girl. Maybe it was the storybooks that did it for me but as an adult I am even more facinated by it. My family is Irish, my grandfather was born there but still it's English history and customs and landscapes that make me want to be there so badly.

I am just amazed at the fact that England has buildings dating back to 11th century that are still being used. I would do anything to go and just be in one of those places!!!!  You just don't have that in America.

I have never been there and yet I feel homesick for it. Strange I know...but I truly cannot wait to visit...and live there if I can!!

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 17:19 on 14th April 2010

First off, welcome to POE, Dee.

Short answer: I love the place . . . simple as that!

Long answer: My interest in England, particularly in medieval England, was strongly nurtured by my mother (a life-member of the Guild of St. Winifred) from the time I was a young child. One of my very earliest memories revolves around seeing my first suit of armor in the Hall of Arms and Armor at the Detroit Institute of Arts and remembering being at once very frightened and simultaneously fascinated by it. From that point on, I was hooked on things medieval! As my interest in English Gothic church architecture and English military and vernacular architecture developed, my trips to England became more research-oriented. My particular interest in the medieval woodwork of churches, particularly the chancel screenwork of parish churches, has taken me out into the country more and more. These trips into the less well-traveled areas of England have really given me an intense appreciation for all that has been preserved and treasured by the English people. I try to go to England as often as possible and do as much back-country driving as I can, though I admit that lately I have been spending more time in research libraries there than in the countryside! And perhaps many of us may be in touch with some form of ancestral memory at the genetic level--I know that there are places in England, Wales and Scotland that upon first visit seem eerily familiar to me.

Just my two cents.
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 17:23 on 14th April 2010
The post above is mine. For some reason, my name and avatar were omitted when I posted the message.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:40 on 14th April 2010
I think the avatar disapears if you have the treadyou are posting open for quite a while Rob say if you start a post then leave it a while before closing it.Undecided
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 18:55 on 14th April 2010
Krissy, I do hope that someday you will get your wish to come and maybe live here,
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 19:18 on 14th April 2010
On 14th April 2010 17:40, lancashirelove wrote:
I think the avatar disapears if you have the treadyou are posting open for quite a while Rob say if you start a post then leave it a while before closing it.Undecided

That's just what I deserve for being long-winded!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:31 on 14th April 2010
On 14th April 2010 18:55, Peggy Cannell wrote:
Krissy, I do hope that someday you will get your wish to come and maybe live here,

I hope so too Peggy!! I was planning on visiting this spring, which got pushed back to this fall...but really spring 2011 might be best! Keep your fingers crossed!!

Rob...another great avatar!!  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next >