Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Escomb Saxon Church

Escomb in the county of County Durham

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Knowledge of JOHN WICKENS

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

Kelly Barnard
Kelly Barnard
quotePosted at 13:06 on 20th October 2008

My name is Kelly Barnard from Ontario Canada, I'm working on some family tree information For my third  or Fourth Great Grandfather JOHN WICKENs.  He was born in 1884 and came from England, sadly I have know Idea what part.  He emigrated to Canada and resided in Kingston, Ontario he Married Hannah Prest and eventually moved to a small farming community called Crookston Ontario.  They had 13 Children { John, Susan, Charles, David, Wesley, William, Mary, Samuel, Elizabeth, Albert, Emma,  Thomas and Mable} He died  July 17, 1926 and is buried in a pioneer cemetery at RR#5 Madoc, Ontario.

If anyone should have any kind of information about John Wickens and his life in England I would appreciate any information that can be shared. Thank You Kelly Barnardd

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 13:48 on 20th October 2008

Wickens isn't a name I am familiar with, so sadly I can't help you.

But welcome to the forum, and we shall see what other folk here can do for you.

Kelly Barnard
Kelly Barnard
quotePosted at 14:35 on 20th October 2008
Thanks Sue, I hope I do find what I'm looking for.....Family research is an interesting thing until you hit a dead end!  I was nice to hear from you.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:05 on 20th October 2008
Welcome from me too Kelly, this website and forum you will never get tired of! Good luck with your hunt!
Kelly Barnard
Kelly Barnard
quotePosted at 15:13 on 20th October 2008

Thanks!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:17 on 20th October 2008

As you are new here Kelly, you are probably wondering why someone living in America is answering your question. I spent my first 32 years in England, and in my heart I'm still there, so when I post, it always sounds like I'm still living there.

I lived in the Oxford area, and must say that I ever came across the name of Wicken. I will put out the feelers though, have some friends over there look the name up in the phone book.

We have had some success here on POE (Pictures of England) helping people track names down, so keep on checking.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 16:07 on 20th October 2008

Hi Kelly. Welcome to POE.

I knew a Georg Wicken's 8 years ago. He lived somewhere in the east end of London. Unfortunately I think he died about 6 or 7 years ago, aged about 66. He worked as a cleaning contract worker in Fords of Dagenham and he was definately an east London boy. I cant tell you any more about him unfortunately. I doubt that it will help you much, but you never know.

All the best with your search.

Peter.

Edited by: Peter Evans at:20th October 2008 16:19
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:25 on 20th October 2008
Hi Kelly----the nearest one I can find is a John Wickens born 1883/4 in Ightham, Kent , and by 1901 was living in Shorne , Kent with his parents William and Caroline, and 3 younger siblings.  They were farm workers. If this is the right one, his Dad came from Cambridgeshire,born about 1844, and his Mum from Leatherhead, in Surrey, born about 1851. William married Caroline Pennell in the last quarter of 1877 in Kent.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:20th October 2008 17:29
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 17:15 on 20th October 2008

That's top information Paul. Are you looking at the census records?

Right now there are nine Wickens living in the Oxfordshire area, so not a popular name there at all.

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 17:31 on 20th October 2008
Hi Kelly - good luck with your quest!
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >