Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

ad
ad
ad
ad
A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A recipe worth sharing

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 15:38 on 26th May 2008

Ruth, thanks for the recipe And a big thanks for your comments on my photo's.

I will have to post my recipe for Welshcakes on here. I just gotta find it, I have it written down cos I have a bad memory. Just ask Lyn.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Denzil Tregallion
Denzil Tregallion
quotePosted at 15:41 on 26th May 2008
Proper cornish pastie    marvelous with sweet and savory.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:29 on 26th May 2008
I agree Denzil, but a bit like Peter....fruity one end, thick with meat the other!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:40 on 26th May 2008

You're welcome, Peter!  Is he really all that forgetful, Lyn?  Better hope absent-mindedness is not contagious, or you're all in trouble having me here, lol.

The Welshcakes - are they a cookie, made from a moist bread dough, rolled out, cut into rounds and baked on a griddle?  And with currants rather than raisins, in order to be authentic?  If they are, Peter, they're the best cookies ever.  They're not really common over here though.  I've made them for different occasions and when people rave and ask what they are, and I say. "Welsh cookies," they say, "Never heard of them but give me the recipe."  We had a lot of Welsh immigrants in my home town in Pennslyvania (coal mining), so people know about them back there, but not out west here.  If you post your recipe, I'll post mine!

Sorry, everybody, about my earlier recipe - the way it posted.  I got lazy too, Sue and tried and failed with the old cut and paste.  Your waffles sound divine! 

L
L
quotePosted at 21:46 on 26th May 2008
On 26th May 2008 15:41, Denzil Tregallion wrote:
Proper cornish pastie marvelous with sweet and savory.

Thats called a Bedfordshire Clanger here where I live Denzil.

Peter! I remember my mum used to make welsh cakes, but I cant remember how they were made either lol I think she used to cook them on a griddle? 

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 22:17 on 26th May 2008
On 26th May 2008 15:41, Denzil Tregallion wrote:
Proper cornish pastie    marvelous with sweet and savory.

Hi Denzil, welcome to the forum:).

So true, yum! I know this may sound a bit insane, but when I was in Devon I used to cross the border only to get my weekly share of cornish pasties lol  

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 22:34 on 26th May 2008
On 25th May 2008 22:45, Ruth Gregory wrote:

I'm her evil twin!  

Just watch your shoulders in....June then! lol 

But the list is getting long and I'm running out of time!

I know the feeling only too well !

Well girls, you are always welcome, just let me know when you'll be packing Wink.....and no fear Lyn, I will hold your hand whilst crossing roads Wink
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 01:03 on 27th May 2008

Welshcackes used to be known as Bakestones. They were cooked on large flat stones.I have a modern version, its a flat aluminium plate with a handle like a frying pan, about 3/4 of an inch thick. I havnt made any for a while now, so I think I had better start baking again.

Yes you are right Ruth. Made with self raising flour and a teaspoon of mixed spices. When I do make them, I have to hide them or I never get any. As soon as word gets out, my house fills up with friends and relatives all wanting them.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 01:16 on 27th May 2008

Yes, Peter, they are highly addictive.  That's why they go so fast.  Ya can't eat just one! I have a cast iron pancake griddle that I do ours on.

Hi Maria:

My sister in law is the chef of the family and wants to go on one of the Tuscany cuisine tours.  I want to look at Rome, the Vatican, Pompeii, all the historical stuff.  I hope to make it there someday.  You wouldn't by any chance be originally from England would you?  I wondered because you used the word "whilst."

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 12:21 on 27th May 2008
On 27th May 2008 01:16, Ruth Gregory wrote:

You wouldn't by any chance be originally from England would you?  I wondered because you used the word "whilst."

I don't think so, Ruth, but I've got an american passport...might that count? ;-)

I think I just read too many Graham Greene's novels :)