Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

ad
ad
ad
ad
A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A recipe worth sharing

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Denzil Tregallion
Denzil Tregallion
quotePosted at 08:40 on 27th August 2008
fair dinkum mate and all
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 09:03 on 27th August 2008
On 11th May 2008 21:31, Lyn Greenaway wrote:

MMMM....YUMMY Haggis recipe Undecided for those that want to try it lol

• 1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
  • 1 sheep's stomach
  • 1 sheep heart
  • 1 sheep liver
  • 1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
  • 3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
  • 3 onions, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup stock
Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.

Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey.

Thanks Lyn,  I love Haggis!!!
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 09:14 on 27th August 2008
On 26th August 2008 07:37, Lyn Greenaway wrote:
I love rice pud, but haven't made it for ages. Your welcome Alan, its odd how some food can bring back memories of days gone by....Undecided

Too true!  I had an aunt who lived a few miles away, and I loved to visit her - bacause she was always baking - bread, scones, cakes, the lot!  She always used to make her own jam too, and the garden was filled with fruit bushes, black currants, loganberries and things like that.  So now you know what a greedy little so and so I was back then!

I should be fat as anything, but I'm one of those people who simply cannot gain weight, no matter how they try.  Lucky, I suppose, because a lot of people have the opposite problem, through no fault of their own.

Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 09:17 on 27th August 2008
On 27th August 2008 06:53, Shirley K. Lawson wrote:

Our area, near Mt. Hood, is famous for it's hucklberries..which are simliar to an blueberry, but the "wild" version.  I'm about 35 miles away from Mt. Hood. We give this stuff away as something special near the Holidays every year in Nov and December, and they are harder every year to come by with people coming up by the droves from out of state. Hucklyeberry Chutney can be served with cured meats and aged cheeses, etc. Substitue blueberries if you can't obtain huckleberries....Huckleberry Chutney...

4 ozs. or 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly, 1 teasp crushed red pepper, flakes, or to taste, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 small sprig of rosemary, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 stick of cinnamon, 1/4 cup.or 2 ozs. red wine vingar, 1/4 cup of water, 2 tablespoon granulated sgar, 2 cups or 16 ozs. of huckleberries, salt to taste.

Saute' the red onion in the olive oil until translucent, add the garlic, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, cinnamon stick,mustard seed, rosemary, vinegar, water, and sugar and cook for 30 minutes, adding more water if needed to keep from drying out completely. Add the huckleberries and cook until they begin to swell and give up thier juices,about 5 to 10 minutes. Don't  cook to long, the berries shouldn't break down to much...the mixutre should be chunky.Season lightly with salt and set aside to cool. Remove the cinnamon stick and the Bay leaf and rosemary sprig, Store in the refrigerator up to two weeks...bring to room temperature for serving, makes about one cup. or 8 ozs.    

Now that really kicked my taste buds into overdrive.  Thanks Shirley.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 13:40 on 27th August 2008
I used to love Bread Pud. That is till I had some in a Motorway Service area. I started to eat it and had a funny taste. I then noticed fried bread in it. That put me off for life. I have never touched it since.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:41 on 27th August 2008

Is that bread pudding or bread and butter pudding? I make both and they are very different, and even though I say so myself, they are very good.

I bet if you had some of my bread and butter pudding (or bread pudding for that matter) you'd start liking it again   .

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:12 on 27th August 2008
I love bead pudding.  I don't make it myself but when I order it out at a restaurant I pick all the raisins out and put them to one side (can't stand them). LOL!Laughing
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 15:18 on 27th August 2008
On 27th August 2008 13:40, Peter Evans wrote:
I used to love Bread Pud. That is till I had some in a Motorway Service area. I started to eat it and had a funny taste. I then noticed fried bread in it. That put me off for life. I have never touched it since.
Can't say I blame you.  In my experience the average Motorway Service Station would be enough to put anyone off food altogether, not just one particular dish.  Even the good ones aren't anything to write home about!
L
L
quotePosted at 15:45 on 27th August 2008
REAL ENGLISH SHEPHERDS PIE!

1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. lamb, minc
1 large carrot, diced
1 beef stock cube
1 lb. chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon corn flour
3 tablespoons tomato puree
pinch of salt and pepper
2 lb. potatoes
1 stick butter

This is how to make a real English shepherds pie, made with lamb. If made with beef, it would be known as cottage pie.
Firstly, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and carrot and cook until soft. Add minced lamb and stock cube, then cook until the mince is brown and shows a crumbly texture. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree, and add the corn flour. Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about fifteen minutes, or until thickened.

Meanwhile, peel and chop potatoes and boil until soft, then mash them with the butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Put the filling into a deep dish, then top with the mashed potatoes and put under a warm grill (broiler) until the top is brown and crisp.
Enjoy!Smile
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:48 on 27th August 2008
I LOVE shepherds pie Lyn; can't wait to try it out!  Thanks!