Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

ad
ad
ad
ad
A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A recipe worth sharing

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

L
L
quotePosted at 08:32 on 25th August 2008

Rice Pud

50 Gram Short-grain white or brown pudding rice or flaked rice (2 oz)
750 ml Milk (1 to 1 1/2 pints)
2 Tablespoon Sugar
15 Gram Butter (1/2 oz)
1/4 Teaspoon Ground cinnamon, mixed spice or nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 170 °C / 325 °F / Gas 3.

Put the rice in a buttered 1.1 litre (2 pint) oven-proof dish. Pour in 600 ml (1 pint) milk. If using brown rice, add in extra 300 ml (1/2 pint) of milk. Add the sugar and butter. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon, mixed spice or nutmeg.

Bake for 2-2 1/2 hours (brown rice for an extra 30 minutes). Stir 2 or 3 times during the first hour, but leave for the remaining time to form a crust. 

Serve hot or cold,delicious!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 08:37 on 25th August 2008

This sounds fabulous Lyn. hang on I coming over........... Smile

A friend of mine was helping his wife baking, she had abbreviated all the measurements with initials T.S = tea spoon etc;

He asked "What's two D.S. G.S ?'

Her answer " Two Dessert Spoons of Goat Sh11"

G.S. turned out to be Golden Syrup.

L
L
quotePosted at 08:43 on 25th August 2008
LOL I hope she DID use Golden Syrup!Surprised
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 06:13 on 26th August 2008

LOL @ you two!

Aw, Lyn, those recipes sound fantastic!  I'll bet the rice pudding is to die for.  Thanks, I"m printing them off.  My hubby loves ribs.

Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 06:27 on 26th August 2008
On 25th August 2008 08:32, Lyn Greenaway wrote:

Rice Pud

50 Gram Short-grain white or brown pudding rice or flaked rice (2 oz)
750 ml Milk (1 to 1 1/2 pints)
2 Tablespoon Sugar
15 Gram Butter (1/2 oz)
1/4 Teaspoon Ground cinnamon, mixed spice or nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 170 °C / 325 °F / Gas 3.

Put the rice in a buttered 1.1 litre (2 pint) oven-proof dish. Pour in 600 ml (1 pint) milk. If using brown rice, add in extra 300 ml (1/2 pint) of milk. Add the sugar and butter. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon, mixed spice or nutmeg.

Bake for 2-2 1/2 hours (brown rice for an extra 30 minutes). Stir 2 or 3 times during the first hour, but leave for the remaining time to form a crust. 

Serve hot or cold,delicious!

Thanks for the recipe Lyn.  I remember my mum making delicious Rice Pud when I was little (not that I'm trying to kid you that I've growed much since) and my lovely late wife also had the knack of creating beautiful meals just like that.  I wish I could say the same for myself, but I'm actually a very average cook, although I can make a variety of good filling meals - sufficient to enable me to bring my family up as a single parent without poisoning them too seriously.

What memories you've brought back for me.

L
L
quotePosted at 07:37 on 26th August 2008
I love rice pud, but haven't made it for ages. Your welcome Alan, its odd how some food can bring back memories of days gone by....Undecided
Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 06:53 on 27th August 2008

Our area, near Mt. Hood, is famous for it's hucklberries..which are simliar to an blueberry, but the "wild" version.  I'm about 35 miles away from Mt. Hood. We give this stuff away as something special near the Holidays every year in Nov and December, and they are harder every year to come by with people coming up by the droves from out of state. Hucklyeberry Chutney can be served with cured meats and aged cheeses, etc. Substitue blueberries if you can't obtain huckleberries....Huckleberry Chutney...

4 ozs. or 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly, 1 teasp crushed red pepper, flakes, or to taste, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 small sprig of rosemary, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 stick of cinnamon, 1/4 cup.or 2 ozs. red wine vingar, 1/4 cup of water, 2 tablespoon granulated sgar, 2 cups or 16 ozs. of huckleberries, salt to taste.

Saute' the red onion in the olive oil until translucent, add the garlic, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, cinnamon stick,mustard seed, rosemary, vinegar, water, and sugar and cook for 30 minutes, adding more water if needed to keep from drying out completely. Add the huckleberries and cook until they begin to swell and give up thier juices,about 5 to 10 minutes. Don't  cook to long, the berries shouldn't break down to much...the mixutre should be chunky.Season lightly with salt and set aside to cool. Remove the cinnamon stick and the Bay leaf and rosemary sprig, Store in the refrigerator up to two weeks...bring to room temperature for serving, makes about one cup. or 8 ozs.    

Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 07:39 on 27th August 2008

After the kids get back in school and my vaction coming up here soon is over with, I'll drag out some of my more favorite receipes..I picked up this old receipe for cookie bars that were made by this man that ran his own store,about 200 years ago. and he would bake these with his entire family helping to fill up an old oak barrel, and he sold them through-out winter, as the longer they sat, the better they tasted. Kind of an "spice" cookie. They go well with about any beverage. For the guys, I have an egg nog punch for you that will knock off your chair that's been passed down in an family also. I'm sure it steralizes the eggs in it with no problem, probably "cures" them also.I use to throw great parties here over the Holdiays, it took my garage and the entire house to do it also. But the kids were little then, and we wanted the cousins to know each other and family friends. I think with the kids they liked the easy and simple stuff, so I had an lazy susan type revolving dish and a stero-foam cone, cover it with parsely using toothpicks and in an line up the tree with toothpicks holding them in was cherry tomatoes, an row of rolled up deli-sliced ham with pineapple cream cheese spread in it, and cut in chunks or small rolls, followed by another row of cherry tomatoes, and then turkey deli-sliced meat with an smoked cheddar cheese in it for an filling, rolled up and sliced into little hunks...and you need to keep all these little hunks of filled meat cut about the same size. then another row of cherry tomatoes...all around the tree, ham, tomatoe, turkey tomato, ham, so forth. Top it with an cherry tomaote also, should have an cone shape when your done with the food. Then you place it in the refrigerator to set up a bit and cover with plastic film. when ready to serve, take it out, set it in the center of your lazy susan or an flat plate, and fill in the bottom with celery stick, carrot sticks, green pepper sticks/califlower florets...and set aside an bowl of ranch dressing. You can place the filllings in the meat the night before and make the whole thing the day before also. It makes with trail mixes, chips and cookies and nuts, the "centerpiece" that goes well with everything you serve. I still find it hard to beleive in this tiny house of mine (even if it is two-story) I use to have around 65 to 75 people in it, and that was usually an few close nieghbors, or close friends and immediate brothers and sisters in our family...now it would be probably double that many people,, we gave up the parties for an lack of enough space. Now we hold such things outdoors in the summer in local parks. But I''l share a few of my receipes that I find uique for some reason or another, most of them have stories along with them also.

Denzil Tregallion
Denzil Tregallion
quotePosted at 07:54 on 27th August 2008
shirley you have some strange food in America and all that huckleberry chutney sounds odd then whats a huckleberry@?
Denzil Tregallion
Denzil Tregallion
quotePosted at 07:55 on 27th August 2008
what about bread and butter pudding then