Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

ad
ad
ad
ad
A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Pictures that Generate Memories...

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Steve Barrand
Steve Barrand
quotePosted at 10:25 on 6th August 2008
Hey Jason when I was in the UK last (Feb - Apr this year) I renewed my English Heritage membership, and visited alot of Abbeys, churches ans Castles as the history is overwhelming.  I haven't been to Ely yet but I will visit when we return to live in the UK at the end of the year.  I once visited a church and grave site in the lakes District area, where it was lush with green grass, history a plenty and rabbits hopping around, it was like something out of a story book, that's where I would like to rest. Innocent
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
quotePosted at 12:27 on 6th August 2008
On 6th August 2008 03:34, Ruth Gregory wrote:

Great article, John.  I had read a little of the history of Whitby and Whitby Abbey, but nothing as compehensive as your article.  Thanks!  Are you a travel writer, John?

As for memories, our visit to Whitby will always be one of my most cherished.  It was super cold and windy that day, but we hardly noticed because we were so charmed, not just by the abbey but the town, too. 

And interestingly enough, Jason's photo on this page of Ely Cathedral, as well as your article John, tie in somewhat with my memory of Whitby.  We were there on Nov.11 - what you call Remembrance Day.  Everyone was wearing the little red poppies - something they also did in Pennsylvania when I was a small girl.  And we went to Mass that day at St. Hilda's in Whitby after a beautiful morning ride up from York where we were staying.  It was absolutely wonderful!

Thanks for the kind words, Ruth. I guess I'm a Jack of all trades - some of my income comes from writing articles for magazines, some comes from business writing (press releases, instruction manuals etc.)

Some comes from my fiction. Some comes from critiques.

Short fiction is my first love, but it's much harder to make a living out of fiction.

I also run a little sideline called Tame Your Computer. I visit clients in their homes and introduce them to the wonders of Word, Excel, the Internet etc.

On top of that I teach guitar - and now and again I accept a paid gig (although humping the amps around is no longer much of a joy).

If I really have to - if my wife wants a new golden nipple-ring - I take on private pupils for extra tuition in GCSE English and Mathematics.

Anything to keep the wolf from the door.

(No, not you, Wolf!)

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 21:00 on 6th August 2008

I'm impressed John..you are definitely a very eclectic talent !

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:14 on 7th August 2008

Hi Maria.  Hope you enjoyed your vacation last week.  Did you go anywhere fun?

Yes, I agree with Maria, John.  It takes great skill to be a teacher, and not just content knowledge.  And it's quite a broad array of fields. 

John Ravenscroft
John Ravenscroft
quotePosted at 13:23 on 7th August 2008

Thanks for the kind words, ladies.

Ruth, to be a teacher in UK schools you need skill and content knowledge - but more than anything else you need a flak-jacket. You get flak from the school, flak from the government, and flak from the kids.

I taught in 11-18 schools for far too many years. Finally managed to escape and am much happier as a freelance writer and private tutor - even though I've taken a substantial drop in income.

I have friends who still teach inside the system, and generally-speaking they're half-dead.

It's not how life should be.

MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 09:20 on 8th August 2008
On 7th August 2008 04:14, Ruth Gregory wrote:

Hi Maria.  Hope you enjoyed your vacation last week.  Did you go anywhere fun? 

Hi Ruth, how are you?  In fact I used a few of my days off to work..at home lol, you know, sorting out all those things that seem to pile up  themselves and that you never find the time to take care for during the year.  I still have a few days though and will have my annual share of England within this month ;-).

I loved your photos of Arizona btw, thank you! 

Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 12:07 on 8th August 2008

The following link is about a place I knew as a kid, it was an old railway track and on a still quiet night I could hear the trains on the line. Now it is a walking track and cycleway .

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=J5aN5fyhnMo

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:29 on 9th August 2008

Hi Maria:  I'm fine, thanks for asking.  Sometimes those vacations at home are the best.  Hope you enjoy your annual share of England.  I'm glad you liked the photos of AZ too.  Perhaps you could post a few of Italy. 

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 03:30 on 9th August 2008

Hi Wolf

That was a cool video.  Is your accent like that of the narrator?  What are your thoughts about them putting up a wind turbine there?

Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 05:13 on 9th August 2008

Ruth my accent has completely changed after 41 years in Oz.

As for the wind turbine, its got to be a lot better than a power station.Smile